Guess what I got?
After spending two years day dreaming about the things I would make in a Le Creuset french oven, I finally have one. It is easily the most beautiful piece of cast-iron I have ever seen. The color makes it all the more perfect. It’s not green, it’s fennel. Could this get any better. No.
This was the first meal that I cooked in my french oven. The first of many to come.
It. was. delicious.
Thanks to this recipe, I now know what the heck a leek is and (thanks to Youtube) how to clean one.
Minestrone Soup with Whole Wheat Biscuit Topping
slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is
makes one 9×13 dish or one 3 quart dish,
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cleaned and trimmed leek, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3 cups raw spinach leaves
- 3 cups torn kale leaves
- 1/2 cup baby carrots, chopped into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) peeled whole tomatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 parmesan cheese rind (mine was about 4 inches long)
- Add oil to a large french oven and allow to heat over medium heat for approx. 3 minutes, or until hot.
- Add onion and leek and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until onion and leek soften. Stir frequently.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook/stir until fragrant.
- Add in butternut squash, kale, spinach, carrots, cannellini beans, tomatoes, chicken stock and cheese rind.
- Bring soup to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, prepare biscuit topping.
Whole Wheat Biscuits
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
- Optional: add 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese into the final biscuit dough
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Using your fingers or a fork, mix cold butter cubes into flour until coarse crumbs remain.
- Pour milk into butter-flour mixture and stir until sticky dough is formed.
Minestrone Soup and Whole Wheat Biscuit Topping
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Carefully pour simmering soup from french oven into oven-safe, baking dish.
- Using the biscuit dough, form 8 biscuits and place on top of soup. (My biscuit dough was sticky so none of my biscuits were perfectly round. If you want your biscuits to hold a specific shape, add more flour to the dough before shaping)
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until biscuit topping is golden brown.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.