Sep 17

Sweet Potato Banana Pancakes

I can sum up my childhood in two simple words:

Barbies and Pancakes.

I loved Barbies and hated pancakes.

I used to be scared that I would never want to stop playing Barbies.  You know when you got to that transition point in middle school when playing Barbies wasn’t socially acceptable anymore?*  Middle school is already really painful and awkward.  I mean you have to worry all 3 years about how you’re not going to have a date for the 8th grade dance, your whole body is slightly chubby, clothes fit weird, locker rooms are an entire other world of awkward and between the glasses and braces, you have quite a bit of metal on your face.

Why did everyone want to take Barbies away from me then?!  I needed something to hang on to!  However, seemingly overnight, playing Barbies became this thing that only elementary school kids did.

Luckily, my best friend (who lived 5 houses down from me) was (and still is) the ultimate best friend.

She’d play Barbies with me…and then pretend like it never happened.

I remember we used to transport all of our Barbie playing equipment -dolls, plethora of clothes, Barbie’s car, Barbie’s husband, Barbie’s child- to the other person’s house in brown paper grocery bags so our neighbors couldn’t see what was inside the bag.

I grew up on a street with 29 kids.  All of whom were approximately my age.  It was wonderful and fun…unless they found out you still played with Barbies.  And then proceeded to tell the entire school.  Or worse, they picked you last for the kickball team.  Talk about being scarred for life.

So whenever the best friend and I would have sleepovers at her house, we would play Barbies into the wee hours of the morning because more than likely Ken and Barbie had a fight that involved Ken not being emotionally available and…

But anyways, we’d wake up in the morning and we’d have pancakes for breakfast.  For some unknown reason, I hated these pancakes.  Seriously, they made me gag.  But I thought it’d be rude to say that I didn’t like them, so I suffered in silence.

So the pancakes (just like being picked last for the kickball team) kinda scarred me for life.

Well, not actually for life…but for a good couple years I had a strong aversion to what I now refer to as ‘heavenly deliciousness.’

Somewhere along the line, my younger sister -the wonderful one who says things like “your necklace doesn’t match your shoes.”  Yes, that one- managed to tell my friend’s mom that “Kylie doesn’t like your pancakes, but I think they’re great.”  I remember being horrified and feeling like a terrible person,** but by the time the next post sleepover breakfast rolled around, I couldn’t have been happier.

So I took a break from pancake eating for a good 10 years until I rediscovered a love for them somewhere along the way.  Now I’m trying to make up for those lost 10 years.

These pancakes have a serving of vegetables, they’re just made with oat flour, and the only sugar in them comes from fruit (unless you add maple syrup:)).  It’s seriously just as healthy as eating oatmeal but in a different form.  The only thing different from these pancakes and your normal oatmeal bowl is one egg, some greek yogurt and a pinch of baking soda.

I love that.  Healthy happiness, my friends.

*a dark time for sure.

**barbie playing has made me dramatic.

Sweet Potato Banana Pancakes

serves 1

adapted from Oatmeal with a Fork

2/3 cups oats

1/4 cup sweet potato puree

2 Tbsp greek yogurt

2 Tbsp almond milk

1/4 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 egg (mine was a large egg…if using extra large eggs, don’t add in all of the yolk)

1/2 banana, melted (cut in half lengthwise and microwaved 30-45 seconds until it ‘melts’…or you can place the halved banana under the broiler for 4ish minutes.)

1/2 banana, sliced into 12 slices

1/4 tsp baking soda

The night before, mix together the oats, sweet potato, greek yogurt and milk.  The mixture will be VERY thick.  Cover the container and place it the fridge overnight.  In the morning, add the thick oat mixture, vanilla, cinnamon, egg, and melted banana to a food processor or blender (everything except the baking soda).  Blend until smooth.

Heat a griddle/large nonstick pan over medium heat.  Once your heating surface is hot, add your baking soda to your food processor and blend everything together.  If the batter looks too thick, add 1 more Tbsp almond milk.  Once smooth, pour your batter onto your griddle to make 3 pancakes.  Gently press four banana slices into each pancake.  Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping to the other side.  Cook an additional 2-3 minutes on the other side.  Serve.

I made three smaller pancakes because I like to stack them.  However, feel free to make only 2 or even 1 if you’re one of those people who can flip pancakes.  I know from experience that I am not one of those people…but that story is for another time.

I hope you love them as much as I did:)

23 Responses to “Sweet Potato Banana Pancakes”

1. inherchucks — September 17, 2012 @ 10:35 pm (#)

Wow! I need these in my life…like, NOW :)

Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to enjoy this decadent breakfast…

• Kylie — September 18, 2012 @ 4:06 pm (#)

Go get your sweet potato roasting NOW! That way you’re one step closer to these guys:)

• inherchucks — September 18, 2012 @ 4:49 pm (#)

Will do…thanks :)

2. Ksenija @ Health Ninja — September 18, 2012 @ 12:33 am (#)

I love the “sweet potato in my morning pancakes” idea – but even more, I loved your post. Nothing’s better than a good giggle in the morning ;) Way to start my day in the office! Thanks for that.

• Kylie — September 18, 2012 @ 4:04 pm (#)

Glad you enjoyed it:) does that mean you were a secret Barbie player too?:)

• Ksenija @ Health Ninja — September 18, 2012 @ 4:08 pm (#)

More of a secret Lego player, but my brother was especially fond of my Barbies :D

3. aftertheivyleague — September 18, 2012 @ 8:31 am (#)

I’m so excited about this recipe, looks so good! I’m thinking breakfast tomorrow morning.

Completely relating to you playing Barbie beyond the “acceptable” age limit. I used to come home after school everyday in the 5th grade (ok fine 6th grade) and play with my doll house. Only difference is, I never told a soul….

• Kylie — September 18, 2012 @ 4:07 pm (#)

…until now:) your secret is safe with me:)

4. forgottenbeast — September 18, 2012 @ 3:08 pm (#)

I can’t imagine not loving pancakes! Ohhh, they’ve been my favorite for forever. Especially the really horrible for you, no food value whatsoever, bisquick version. Smothered in maple syrup.

• Kylie — September 18, 2012 @ 4:22 pm (#)

My dad can make a mean bisquick banana pancake:) he says you have to put butter in your pan before you cook them because something magically happens…aka the outside gets slightly crispy and delicious:) tastes like home:)

5. katalysthealth — September 19, 2012 @ 8:28 am (#)

Oh my lanta these look so tasty. And sooo perfect for fall. I have yet to have any fall flavors (unless you count candy corn, which I totally do) because its still about 80 degrees over here, but I cant wait!

• Kylie — September 20, 2012 @ 6:30 pm (#)

1) candy corn totally counts
      2) I had a good friend in college who always said “oh my lanta!” I’ve never heard anyone else say it before though!:)

6. Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body — September 19, 2012 @ 8:25 pm (#)

I’m so glad I found your bog, it is full of great recipes like this one! I have been on a pancake kick myself since finally figuring out how to cook them properly! I will definitely have to try this pancake recipe out!

• Kylie — September 20, 2012 @ 6:29 pm (#)

You found me at just the right time because I’m in love with these pancakes:) try them!:)

7. Tiffany — May 12, 2013 @ 2:28 am (#)

Definitely making for mother’s day. :) Thanks!

• Kylie — May 13, 2013 @ 1:05 pm (#)

How’d they turn out!??

• Tiffany — May 14, 2013 @ 12:44 am (#)

These are SO good. I didn’t know how they’d turn out when using oatmeal instead of flour, but they’re great! I used Irish cut oats, the ground up ones. I’m snacking on a couple right now….thanks so much for a great healthy recipe!

• Kylie — May 15, 2013 @ 10:56 pm (#)

Alright!! Yay! Glad they turned out:))

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: WIAW 28-”Hello hello, I’m at a place called Vertigo…” | Yeah…imma eat that.

2. Pingback: Healthy Brownie Batter | Yeah…imma eat that.

3. Pingback: google