WIAW #32-Single Serving Chocolate Chunk Buckwheat Cookies

So…funny story.  Sunday night I prepped my dinner and put it in the oven.  An hour later I went to check to see if it was done only to realize that I had forgotten to turn on the oven.  Less than ideal.  So I texted my mom for some emotional support during this trying time but my dad replied on my mom’s phone with a heartfelt, “stupid is as stupid does.”  Thanks Dad.

I ended up eating a smoothie topped with some cereal & greek yogurt.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  Oh and last week I dropped my glass blender and it shattered.  So now I’m making all of my smoothies in my little, baby food processor that I have to put a kitchen towel over before I blend it because it has two cracks in it from dropping it far too many times and smoothie will potentially go everywhere if I don’t cover it.  Oh life, you are too fun. #somebodybuymeavitamix

So let’s get on to what I’ve been eating because I have a test in 3 hours and I need to study/stop distracting myself!

Peas and Crayons

Breakfast:

Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal

Topped with

Greek Yogurt

Walnuts

Drizzle of Honey

Lunch:

Baked Chicken & Brown Rice

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Broccoli

Recipe: Preheat oven to 375F.  To a casserole dish, add 1/2 finely chopped onion, 1 cup brown rice, 2 cups water, 2 boneless chicken breasts, 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar, 2 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper.  Cover with foil and baked for 1 hour.  So easy.  And the rice is so creamy.

Several days ago, Andie said that “nostalgia is, by far, [her] favorite flavor.”  Can she put it anymore perfectly?  I think not.  That statement perfectly describes my feelings towards this chicken dish.  It seems simple and ordinary but I love it.  This is one of those meals that just reminds me of home.  We didn’t even eat this meal that much growing up but when I called and asked my mom how she makes ‘that chicken and rice recipe‘, I didn’t have to elaborate for her to know exactly what I was talking about…so we must eat it enough.  Plus, while it’s cooking it’ll make your entire house smell like chicken and dumplings.  Which is a curse and a blessing…because you don’t actually get to eat chicken and dumplings.  Regardless, this recipe is good.

Snack:

Banana, Peach & Pineapple Smoothie

From my rec center on campus after I worked out.  Milestone…I did that oblique exercise when you’re on the thing that you normally do back extensions on.  Tell me you know what I’m talking about? I never do them because I’m scared I’m going to fall off.  But I didn’t.  So all it well.  And my abs are sore.  Win, win.

One of the benefits of living in Texas…it’s November and 85 degrees outside = still smoothie weather.

Dinner:

Mashed Sweet Potato Quiche/Souffle/Something

Topped with Avocado Slices

Greek Yogurt

2/3 cup mashed sweet potato + 3/4 cup chopped vegetables (1/4 cup broccoli, 1/4 cup cauliflower, 1/4 cup red pepper) + 2 eggs, scrambled + salt/pepper

Mix everything together and bake at 375F for 50 minutes, or until egg is set/reaches internal temp of 160F.

This would have been even more incredible with some corn bread batter mixed in…next time.

Dessert:

Single Serving Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Buckwheat Cookies

I love how when you grind your own buckwheat you can still leave some crunch to it…you know?

Recipe: Preheat oven to 350F.  In a food processor combine 3 Tbsp buckwheat groats + 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp cocoa powder + 1/8 tsp baking soda + pinch salt.  Grind until groats resemble a coarse flour.  Pour dry ingredients into a separate bowl and mix in 1 Tbsp peanut butter + 1 heaping Tbsp applesauce + 1 chopped up Dove dark chocolate square.  Roll dough into two balls, slightly flatten and bake for 8 minutes…or 4.  They don’t have eggs so if you like doughy things feel free to go a little crazy.

Have a great rest of your week! I can’t wait to go see what everyone else is eating!

Also, has anyone ever tried all the dairy free/vegan cheeses out there?  My body hates cheese/milk products but I haven’t tried any store bought vegan cheeses because they kind of scare me.  Are there any good ones out there worth trying?

Comments

• says

Happy WIAW to you!:) and I’m hoping it’ll at least get chilly by Thanksgiving. It’s hard to get into the holiday spirit when it still feels like summer outside!

1. says

Wow. This post was filled with so many awesome recipes!

I know what you mean about the food processor. I put a towel over mine for two reasons: 1. To prevent it from leaking all over my counter. And 2. I use it as a sound buffer as not to annoying any of my family members :)

But seriously, I wish I could eat eggs because that souffle looks amazing! And the addition of cornbread batter? That would be even better :D

I have not tried any of the dairy-free cheeses out there so I am interested to hear the responses!

• says

My family might like you better than they like me! You sound considerate…we have a ninja blender at my house and every time I’m home I tend to use that thing when everyone is still sleeping. Oops. My family always knows i’m home when they hear the blender or see weird food in the fridge:)

• says

Yes. I’ve been known to get up in the whee hours of the morning like 6:00 AM and use the food processor to make my breakfast. When I ate peanuts, you could also find me staying up really late at night processing peanut butter in my bedroom for the next day… Walls work way better then towels :)

Oh, and yes again to the weird food thing. My dad said that whenever I go back to school, I leave all of our small little plastic bowls, littering the house, filled with my “snacks.” I told him he lied… I never leave food uneaten! :)

2. says

Vegan cheese=awful. All of it. Hands down. I’ve spent so much money on different brands, and none of them are worth it, in my opinion. So if you try a good one (or even a decent one), let me know! And let me know if you find that magical Vitamix-giving-fairy too, I want one of those babies!

• says

Aww man, I was hoping there was at least one kind that wasn’t too awful. I think I’ll take your word for it. I usually don’t miss cheese too bad, except every once in awhile I start thinking about feta or pizza, or feta on pizza…and I just want some cheese. I’ve seen some people make feta out of tofu. Have you tried that?

• says

I’ve made ricotta out of tofu–and that’s actually pretty darn good. So I bet with some extra salt/tang you could make it into a not-too-bad feta. And vegan cream cheese is pretty awesome, so, not exactly cheese, but that one IS good/worth the money. (Pizza sans cheese is still pretty baller too, especially with extra sauce and veggies.)

3. says

I do prefer dairy cheeses, but there is one vegan cheese out there that I simply LOVE! You should give the vegusto “no muh” cheese a try. There are lovers and haters out there, so it’s best to see for yourself. btw – they also have a melty version, but its not pizza-like melty – still delicious as sandwich cheese.

4. Alexia @ NamasteYoga says

wow the baked oatmeal and souffle look fantastic! and its so easy to make and just by baking its a whole different meal! thanks for the inspiration!