Nov 07

WIAW #32-Single Serving Chocolate Chunk Buckwheat Cookies

So…funny story.  Sunday night I prepped my dinner and put it in the oven.  An hour later I went to check to see if it was done only to realize that I had forgotten to turn on the oven.  Less than ideal.  So I texted my mom for some emotional support during this trying time but my dad replied on my mom’s phone with a heartfelt, “stupid is as stupid does.”  Thanks Dad.

I ended up eating a smoothie topped with some cereal & greek yogurt.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  Oh and last week I dropped my glass blender and it shattered.  So now I’m making all of my smoothies in my little, baby food processor that I have to put a kitchen towel over before I blend it because it has two cracks in it from dropping it far too many times and smoothie will potentially go everywhere if I don’t cover it.  Oh life, you are too fun. #somebodybuymeavitamix

So let’s get on to what I’ve been eating because I have a test in 3 hours and I need to study/stop distracting myself!

Peas and Crayons

Breakfast:

Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal

Topped with

Greek Yogurt

Walnuts

Drizzle of Honey

Lunch:

Baked Chicken & Brown Rice

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Broccoli

Recipe: Preheat oven to 375F.  To a casserole dish, add 1/2 finely chopped onion, 1 cup brown rice, 2 cups water, 2 boneless chicken breasts, 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar, 2 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper.  Cover with foil and baked for 1 hour.  So easy.  And the rice is so creamy.

Several days ago, Andie said that “nostalgia is, by far, [her] favorite flavor.”  Can she put it anymore perfectly?  I think not.  That statement perfectly describes my feelings towards this chicken dish.  It seems simple and ordinary but I love it.  This is one of those meals that just reminds me of home.  We didn’t even eat this meal that much growing up but when I called and asked my mom how she makes ‘that chicken and rice recipe‘, I didn’t have to elaborate for her to know exactly what I was talking about…so we must eat it enough.  Plus, while it’s cooking it’ll make your entire house smell like chicken and dumplings.  Which is a curse and a blessing…because you don’t actually get to eat chicken and dumplings.  Regardless, this recipe is good.

Snack:

Banana, Peach & Pineapple Smoothie

From my rec center on campus after I worked out.  Milestone…I did that oblique exercise when you’re on the thing that you normally do back extensions on.  Tell me you know what I’m talking about? I never do them because I’m scared I’m going to fall off.  But I didn’t.  So all it well.  And my abs are sore.  Win, win.

One of the benefits of living in Texas…it’s November and 85 degrees outside = still smoothie weather.

Dinner:

Mashed Sweet Potato Quiche/Souffle/Something

Topped with Avocado Slices

Greek Yogurt

2/3 cup mashed sweet potato + 3/4 cup chopped vegetables (1/4 cup broccoli, 1/4 cup cauliflower, 1/4 cup red pepper) + 2 eggs, scrambled + salt/pepper

Mix everything together and bake at 375F for 50 minutes, or until egg is set/reaches internal temp of 160F.

This would have been even more incredible with some corn bread batter mixed in…next time.

Dessert:

Single Serving Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Buckwheat Cookies

I love how when you grind your own buckwheat you can still leave some crunch to it…you know?

Recipe: Preheat oven to 350F.  In a food processor combine 3 Tbsp buckwheat groats + 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp cocoa powder + 1/8 tsp baking soda + pinch salt.  Grind until groats resemble a coarse flour.  Pour dry ingredients into a separate bowl and mix in 1 Tbsp peanut butter + 1 heaping Tbsp applesauce + 1 chopped up Dove dark chocolate square.  Roll dough into two balls, slightly flatten and bake for 8 minutes…or 4.  They don’t have eggs so if you like doughy things feel free to go a little crazy.

Have a great rest of your week! I can’t wait to go see what everyone else is eating!

Also, has anyone ever tried all the dairy free/vegan cheeses out there?  My body hates cheese/milk products but I haven’t tried any store bought vegan cheeses because they kind of scare me.  Are there any good ones out there worth trying?

18 Responses to “WIAW #32-Single Serving Chocolate Chunk Buckwheat Cookies”

1. IHeartVegetables — November 7, 2012 @ 8:45 am (#)

Haha I was in Texas over the weekend and I was loving how warm and sunny it was!!! It’s gotten cold here in VA!

Those cookies look amazing! Happy WIAW!

• Kylie — November 7, 2012 @ 9:01 am (#)

Happy WIAW to you!:) and I’m hoping it’ll at least get chilly by Thanksgiving. It’s hard to get into the holiday spirit when it still feels like summer outside!

2. Eating 4 Balance — November 7, 2012 @ 10:26 am (#)

Wow. This post was filled with so many awesome recipes!

I know what you mean about the food processor. I put a towel over mine for two reasons: 1. To prevent it from leaking all over my counter. And 2. I use it as a sound buffer as not to annoying any of my family members :)

But seriously, I wish I could eat eggs because that souffle looks amazing! And the addition of cornbread batter? That would be even better :D

I have not tried any of the dairy-free cheeses out there so I am interested to hear the responses!

• Kylie — November 7, 2012 @ 7:27 pm (#)

My family might like you better than they like me! You sound considerate…we have a ninja blender at my house and every time I’m home I tend to use that thing when everyone is still sleeping. Oops. My family always knows i’m home when they hear the blender or see weird food in the fridge:)

• Eating 4 Balance — November 9, 2012 @ 7:39 am (#)

Yes. I’ve been known to get up in the whee hours of the morning like 6:00 AM and use the food processor to make my breakfast. When I ate peanuts, you could also find me staying up really late at night processing peanut butter in my bedroom for the next day… Walls work way better then towels :)

Oh, and yes again to the weird food thing. My dad said that whenever I go back to school, I leave all of our small little plastic bowls, littering the house, filled with my “snacks.” I told him he lied… I never leave food uneaten! :)

3. forgottenbeast — November 7, 2012 @ 2:28 pm (#)

Vegan cheese=awful. All of it. Hands down. I’ve spent so much money on different brands, and none of them are worth it, in my opinion. So if you try a good one (or even a decent one), let me know! And let me know if you find that magical Vitamix-giving-fairy too, I want one of those babies!

• Kylie — November 7, 2012 @ 7:31 pm (#)

Aww man, I was hoping there was at least one kind that wasn’t too awful. I think I’ll take your word for it. I usually don’t miss cheese too bad, except every once in awhile I start thinking about feta or pizza, or feta on pizza…and I just want some cheese. I’ve seen some people make feta out of tofu. Have you tried that?

• forgottenbeast — November 8, 2012 @ 11:03 am (#)

I’ve made ricotta out of tofu–and that’s actually pretty darn good. So I bet with some extra salt/tang you could make it into a not-too-bad feta. And vegan cream cheese is pretty awesome, so, not exactly cheese, but that one IS good/worth the money. (Pizza sans cheese is still pretty baller too, especially with extra sauce and veggies.)

• Kylie — November 9, 2012 @ 9:19 am (#)

Ooo I’m feeling some kind of pumpkin vegan cream cheese concoction in my future:)

4. moderngirlnutrition — November 7, 2012 @ 11:02 pm (#)

Bummer about the blender! And I have done that same oven thing so many times it’s embarrassing;) I can’t wait to make those oats! Happy WIAW!

• Kylie — November 8, 2012 @ 12:32 am (#)

Glad to know I’m not alone:)

5. Tara@Sugar Spice and Bacon — November 7, 2012 @ 11:17 pm (#)

I love the idea of single serving cookies! and those ones look delicious!

• Kylie — November 8, 2012 @ 12:33 am (#)

Living by myself, it’s the least dangerous way to make cookies:)

6. milkandspoon — November 8, 2012 @ 2:24 am (#)

mmmm i love baked oatmeal! its so satisfying!

7. Ksenija @ Health Ninja — November 8, 2012 @ 2:46 am (#)

I do prefer dairy cheeses, but there is one vegan cheese out there that I simply LOVE! You should give the vegusto “no muh” cheese a try. There are lovers and haters out there, so it’s best to see for yourself. btw – they also have a melty version, but its not pizza-like melty – still delicious as sandwich cheese.

8. Alexia @ NamasteYoga — November 8, 2012 @ 9:58 am (#)

wow the baked oatmeal and souffle look fantastic! and its so easy to make and just by baking its a whole different meal! thanks for the inspiration!

9. Luv What You Do — November 9, 2012 @ 8:17 pm (#)

Wow, that looks like an awesome day of eating! I’m going to check out that baked oatmeal recipe now. Delish!

• Kylie — November 10, 2012 @ 8:56 pm (#)

It’s perfect for Fall:) filled with pumpkin-y goodness:)