Oatmeal Cookie Dough Greek Yogurt Ice Cream

Yes, I know it’s winter.

IMG_8863

But here we are. With yet another greek yogurt ice cream recipe.

You have to understand, a lot of effort has gone into making this ice cream.  You see, I’ve attempted to make this ice cream four times.  Four. Freaking. Times.

IMG_8859

The first attempt involved me making the cookie dough.  Rolling the dough into 35 tiny balls and then on the way to putting them in the freezer, I ate them.  All of them.  I spent like 20 years of my life thinking that cookie dough was always unhealthy and now that I can have cookie dough as a healthy snack…there is no stopping me.  The creation of healthy cookie dough is just proof (yet again) that life gets far better after high school.

Okay moving on.  So a couple days later I attempted to make this ice cream for a second time, I made the cookie dough bites, put them in the freezer and then decided to taste test one.  It was necessary.  But then that one turned into ten.  And then within the hour…BOOM. Gone.  The frozen cookie dough was better than the non frozen cookie dough.

IMG_8884

So that brings us to the third attempt.  I made the cookie dough bites, froze them, mixed up my ice cream ingredients, poured the creamy mix into my ice cream maker, added the cute, little cookie dough balls, tasted the ice cream…ohhhh yum greek yogurty perfection.

And then it rained for the next two days.  If you think this ice cream lasted more than two days in my house while it was raining and dreary and depressing outside…you’re overestimating my self control.  And for that I love you…all believing in me and whatnot. But do you see what I’m saying?  Rainy days equals less than ideal conditions for photo taking.  So all the ice cream disappeared before I got the chance to take a photo that would make you actually want to eat this.

IMG_8864

So here we are.  Attempt number 4.

Fourth times the charm, right? Right.

It’s the number of times I had to take the GRE before I finally got the score I needed.  Getting that score was a ho fo’ sho’.  I’m not sure how that applies but I’ve really been wanting to say ho fo’ sho’.  So there it is.

IMG_8890

So you might have seen that the other day I made Mint Chocolate Chip Greek Yogurt Ice Cream…with umm spinach to give it the pretty green color.  It was good, but in my book it can’t compare to this.  Cookie dough ice cream has always, always, always been my number one.  A love/hate relationship for sure since my body has never been a fan of dairy.  Kinda like how I love/hate spinning classes.  Anyways, through the wonder of greek yogurt, that love/hate relationship has turned into a purely love relationship.  So thanks Chobani, thanks for taking the hate out of my life.

IMG_8867

Oatmeal Cookie Dough Greek Yogurt Ice Cream

serves 5-6 people (about a 3/4 cup serving each)

Ice Cream Ingredients

1 frozen banana, ripe (mine was speckled with brown spots)

1 1/2 cup almond milk, orginial

1/3 cup oats, ground into a flour

1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp cinnamon

1 container (16 ounces) Chobani Vanilla Chocolate Chunk Greek Yogurt

3 Tbsp dark chocolate chips, roughly chopped (optional, I didn’t add)

Frozen Oatmeal Cookie Dough Bites Ingredients

2/3 cup oats, ground into flour (use a coffee grinder)

1/3 oats

1 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp salt

4 Tbsp applesauce

2 Tbsp peanut butter

1 Tbsp honey

Frozen Cookie Dough Recipe

Mix together oat flour, oats, cinnamon, and salt.  To these dry ingredients add applesauce, peanut butter and honey.  Stir together until it resembles a cookie dough.  Roll into 35(ish) small balls and place in the freezer while you mix together the ice cream ingredients.

Ice Cream Recipe

In a blender, combine frozen banana, almond milk, oat flour, and cinnamon.  Pour this mixture into a large bowl.  Add in Chobani Greek yogurt and chocolate chips (if using).  Mix until everything is well combined.  Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and churn until thick and creamy, about 10 minutes.  Add in your frozen cookie dough bites, one at a time, while your ice cream is still churning.  Serve immediately or scoop mixture into a container and freeze until ice cream consistency is reached, approximately 1 hour.  If freezing longer, allow ice cream to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour before scooping.

NOTE: Because this frozen dessert is low in fat, it is not as creamy as ice cream is.  My suggestion is to NOT freeze the frozen yogurt overnight because it will get too icy.  Churn the frozen yogurt, put it into a container, freeze for 1 hour and then serve! This will give you the best possible creamy consistency.

IMG_8902

About Kylie

Hello! My name is Kylie and imma eat that. I like to EAT. I try to make it healthy. And I love you, for being here.
This entry was posted in Chobani, Chocolate, Cookies, Dessert, gluten free, Ice Cream, Oatmeal and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Oatmeal Cookie Dough Greek Yogurt Ice Cream

1. I think I might follow suit with the first and second time you tried this. I don’t have an ice cream maker yet, but I can definitely make some cookie dough bites. And likely eat them all in one sitting, because self-control is overrated.

2. Megan says:

I don’t eat most of the ingredients in this BUT I have made a paleo friendly cookie dough before and I was kidding myself thinking the batch would make it through the night. I have made it 3x and only once did it last for 2 sittings. I’m still impressing that your dough lasted TWO rainy days, you are a model of restraint : )

3. Christine says:

I love your ice cream recipes. I’ve grown up eating home-made ice cream (and cranking the handle with dad old school style) and would love to give the greek yogurt route a try. What ice cream maker do you own? I need to buy one for my family and would love to have a recommendation. Thanks!

• Kylie says:

I own a Cuisinart that was only $60! I’ve been happy with it. To reach that hard, ice cream consistency I usually have to freeze the ice creams that I make in the freezer after I’ve churned them. But I think that’s mainly because I use weird ingredients that don’t freeze well, rather than because the ice cream maker is a poor quality. Hope that helps:)

Here’s the link to the one I own…

4. Kat says:

OH EM GEEEEEE,I seriously get a huge ice cream craving right now… Woah. This looks so amazing,I can’t take it. I need to get an ice cream maker… URGENTLY!

5. Ohhhh man, this looks REALLY good. Like, I think I can’t go 24 hours without making my own kinda good.

6. Alison says:

This is genius!! I seriously think we have the same taste buds. Every single one of your Instagram posts makes me think, “I need to make that.”

7. foodiecology says:

Hmm…guess I should’ve asked for an ice cream maker for Christmas! This looks amazing. Cookie dough was always one of my favorites, too. Well, that and mint-chocolate chip. Maybe I’ll just follow your first 2 attempts and just make/eat the cookie dough.

8. Jessica says:

I need to make this…today. Like I’m leaving to go out to the store now and get the Chobani. I’m drooling over my keyboard – there are few things I love more than oatmeal cookies – but oatmeal cookie dough rolled into frozen yogurt?! I’m in. I know it was a sacrifice for you to make this recipe 4 times, but I’m so glad you did so you can share it with us! ;)

About how many (1/2 cup) servings does this make? I’m making it for company and want to be sure I have enough.

• Kylie says:

Hi Jessica! It makes about 8 (1/2 cup) servings. But in my house this only fed 5 people…a 1/2 cup for each person just wasn’t enough:) Let me know how it turns out!

• Jessica says:

I’ve already eaten 3 servings today, so that should tell you how good it is. It’s a little bit more banana-y than I would like, but I think that’s because my banana wasn’t ripe – do you think that would make a difference? In any case I’m devouring it and I love the little bits of peanut butter-y oatmeal cookie in there. I’d never think to try that Chobani flavor – it’s really good!

• Kylie says:

I’m glad you tried out that Chobani flavor because it really is so good! And I think a ripe banana would have a sweeter flavor that would go better with the Chobani flavor. The banana I used was pretty brown. I’ll update the recipe!

9. huntfortheverybest says:

looks great, wish i had some!

10. Oh geez, to love you, or hate you for this. I’m torn ;) This sounds amazing, and I’m sure I’d be eating the dough repeatedly as well.

11. juliaroastedroot says:

By golly, you’re a genius! I love how everything you put in this delicious treat is nothing but great for you! I adore peanut butter and anything cookie-dough related so I’m excited to have a healthy version of a delicious treat at my disposal!

• Kylie says:

I’m a lover of all things cookie dough or peanut butter too:) or just peanut butter cookie dough. Ooo maybe that should be the next flavor I try:)

12. Megan says:

Man I don’t have an ice cream maker

13. This recipe is just stunning! I love the combination but even more I love your table. Such a wonderful product of wood! The last pic made me laugh, thanks for this!

14. Leah says:

Is there an alternative to sweeten this if a banana is not available?

• Kylie says:

Hmmm the banana adds texture and sweetness so it’s hard to replace. I think it makes the ice cream a little more creamy. You could try omitting the banana and adding 1/8 to 1/4 cup honey. It may not be as creamy but I think it’d be okay!!!

15. Leah says:

Is the consistency icey? Mine is still churning but its not looking creamy.

• Leah says:

Oh and I did use a banana :)

• Kylie says:

Hey Leah! Yay bananas!!! It’s a very low fat frozen dessert so it won’t be super creamy like ice cream. But I wouldn’t say it’s extremely icy. I tested it out on a couple friends and they didn’t describe it as icy either. It is definitely the most creamy it will be after spending 30-45 minutes in the freezer. After that it hardens and it’s difficult to bring back that just-churned, creamy consistency.

16. Leah says:

Oh :(. I premade it for a party on Saturday. I wonder what would happen if I thawed it a bit and rechurned it???

• Kylie says:

I think the best option would be to thaw it completely and then rechurned it right before serving. I’ll update the recipe to be more specific. Sorry Leah!:((

17. Jennifer White says:

My daughter hates banana, any ideas for a substitute?

• Kylie says:

I don’t feel like you can taste the banana. It just contributes texture…not flavor. But your daughter may have a super sensitive palate towards bananas. I know I hate asparagus and can taste even the tiniest piece in a dish:) I would recommend either trying out the recipe as is and she if she notices or just leave the banana out. But the frozen yogurt won’t be as creamy if you leave the banana out. Sorry I don’t have any easy substitutions! I’ll keep thinking about it though!

18. Meg says:

This looks amazing! Do you think I could sub another type of flour or grain for the oats? Maybe coconut or almond flour?

• Kylie says:

Hi Meg:):) I’ve never had much luck with coconut flour…the flavor is just a little off and I LOVE COCONUT. It’s just weird for some reason. Give almond flour a try! I think that’d be great:)

19. Megan Harris says:

Those looking to replace banana could use avocado and honey instead, this is what I do in my smoothies that call for banana, and I throw in a little zucchini you cannot taste them they take on the other flavors, and you get veggies in ice cream. Good way to hide veggies from the kids too.

20. Chrissy says:

I am not able to get that Chobani flavour in Australia – Is there another one you can recommend? X

• Kylie says:

Hi Chrissy! The chocolate chunk vanilla chobani is super sweet so for a substitution I would recommend buying regular Vanilla greek yogurt and adding some sugar, stevia or honey to it in order to make it sweeter. And then just add in your own chocolate chunks. Maybe like 3 Tbsp sweetener for a 16 ounce container! Hope that help!:)

21. erika says:

YOU ARE PURE GENIUSNESS. I am super excited to make this, preferably layered in an ice cream cake. Eeee!!!

22. Maari says:

I will give it a go for this recept but i dont like peanut butter so what would be the best way to replace it?

23. Anna says:

I’m an ice cream lover too, I eat it year around. I finally got my ice cream maker – which means more “healty” ice crems lol :-P

24. I just made this and I’m eating it now! I’m dying a little. I think you killed me, its so good. I just subbed out the honey for agave nectar. and I may or may not have doubled the cookie dough bites with the full intention of eating every last one. You have created a monster!

25. Dezzilicious says:

I love your food! I’ve been dying to make this but I can’t keep the yogurt in my fridge long enough to make get it done (mmmm). I used 3-6oz containers of the apple cinnamon chobani instead. It was SO good!! If any survives the night I’m going to try a scoop with an apple pie cookie tomorrow for a real treat. Thank you for so much awesome REAL food!

• Kylie says:

I LOVE you for this comment!! So glad you liked the recipe:)) And I’m liking the variation with the apple cinnamon chobani…brilliant. I hope one scoop survives because that cookie combo sounds amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Pingback: Peanut Butter Banana & Honey Bread | Yeah...imma eat thatYeah…imma eat that

27. Jessica says:

I had to try this out! I made it today with vanilla chobani and I added an extra banana for sweetness. It is amazing! My 2 year old thinks so too!