Feb 08

Healthy Brownie Batter

So I’m trying this new thing where I don’t go to the grocery store 3 times a week.

Last week when checking out at the grocery store, the nice checker man said to me, “Ooo you kept it under $50!  That’s smart shopping.”

I replied, “Haha yeah, that’s me.”

What I failed to tell him (in fear that I would be frowned upon) was that, that trip was my third trip to the grocery store that week.  What can I say, I went for buckwheat groats and I ended up leaving with lite coconut milk, avocados, an inappropriate valentine’s day card, and new conditioner.  Essentials.

So wedding planning is coming along. Okay, not really but I did buy three wedding magazines at Barnes & Noble and this weekend we’re getting a guest list made so we can start looking at venues by the end of February.  And, I haven’t lost the ring yet so that’s a positive.  We’re planning for a January wedding…I think.

I picture the wedding planning process in my family involving a lot of Father of the Bride quotes and my dad saying every other day, “remember, whatever we do for your wedding I have to repeat 2 more times, so let’s not get too crazy.”  I have two sisters so my dad is just preparing himself.  And on the days when he’s not saying that, he’ll be talking about how we will be getting the chipper chicken (at minute 3:45).  And then maybe some moments like one of the greatest movie scenes of all time (at minute 2:45) will occur, but hopefully not.

But one of the most exciting things is that we I picked an engagement photographer that we’re thrilled about.  After spending exactly 26485 hours looking though photographer’s portfolios online (and avoiding homework and internship applications), I finally found one that I LOVE.  Like she looks wonderful and perfect and just like someone we would really be comfortable with.  I think it’s gonna be a great fit.  We’re actually taking our engagement pictures over Spring Break in my favorite place in the entire world.  I thought we we’re going to get engaged there but the fiance (woohoo that’s fun to say) knew I was expecting that and wanted it to be a surprise.  And it just works out even more perfectly because now we get to take our engagement pictures there.

So this week when I wasn’t looking through magazines at wedding dresses or searching for the perfect pinterest-esque, color-coordinated engagement picture outfit or not sleeping because I feel like every single day is Christmas Eve now because I’m so excited all the time…yeah, when I wasn’t doing uber important stuff like that, I made some brownie batter.

I’ve seen the healthy brownie batter/cookie dough out there where they put beans in it…I just, no.  The beans in dessert thing kinda freaks me out.  But at one point in my life, pancakes and spinach in smoothies freaked me out…and now I’ve gone all crazy, obsessive over those things.  So maybe like my frontal lobe isn’t developed enough to appreciate the whole beans-in-dessert thing.  If you can handle all the black bean brownie recipes out there, more power to ya.  And if you can handle it, I have a bag of garbanzo bean flour in my pantry that I will most likely never use because I have no idea what the hey to do with it…so it’s got your name on it.  Please, come take it.

I will pay you, in brownie batter, to come take it.

Healthy Brownie Batter

serves 2

2/3 cup oat flour

2 Tbsp +1 tsp cocoa

2 Tbsp + 1 tsp brown sugar (or 1-2 Tbsp honey)

1/4 tsp baking powder (sounds weird but I think it adds flavor)

scant 1/4 tsp salt

2 Tbsp almond milk

1 large ripe banana, melted & mashed (heaping 1/3 cup)

1/8 tsp vanilla

Slice banana in half and ‘melt’ in the microwave for 1 minute.  Mash melted banana with a fork until smooth.  Add in vanilla and almond milk and continue to mash everything together.  Set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine oat flour, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Add in mashed banana mixture and stir until you reach a consistency similar to brownie batter.  Serve immediately.

19 Responses to “Healthy Brownie Batter”

1. Haley — February 8, 2013 @ 7:19 am (#)

OMG. I have the same grocery store issues. No lie, 3 times a week is average. Foodie problems. Yayy for engagement pictures!! They are going to be gorgeous! :) You guys are so cute, I am so glad we can talk wedding planning now

• Kylie — February 10, 2013 @ 4:56 pm (#)

Yes! I’m going to need all your wedding planning wisdom!!

2. Eating 4 Balance — February 8, 2013 @ 7:39 am (#)

Oh my this looks delicious!

I’ve been avoiding internship applications too, but I don’t have wedding planning as an excuse ;) Haha.

• Kylie — February 10, 2013 @ 4:40 pm (#)

Are you applying for a dietetic internship too? I can’t remember!

• Eating 4 Balance — February 10, 2013 @ 6:50 pm (#)

Accounting actually. I’m only a freshman in college and our teachers are already expecting to interview for them. Crazy!

• Kylie — February 10, 2013 @ 8:04 pm (#)

That’s awesome! You’re going to have an amazing resume by the end of college!!:)

3. Alison — February 8, 2013 @ 8:37 am (#)

I would happily take that garbanzo bean flour! I’ll find something to do with it. I mostly just want the brownie batter. Looks good enough for me to face plant. ;)
    Ahhh the wedding planning sounds so exciting!! I would totally do what you’re doing. (Spend hours on end looking for photographers). *sigh* so excited for you!

• Kylie — February 10, 2013 @ 4:55 pm (#)

It’s for sure face plant worthy!:):)

4. Janine — February 8, 2013 @ 9:27 am (#)

Do you have the nutritional info somewhere on your blog for all your creations?

• Kylie — February 10, 2013 @ 4:54 pm (#)

Hmm I don’t! But this recipe comes in at 500 calories total…250 per serving. With the whole grains and fruit I think it’s a pretty healthy yet still indulgent treat:))

5. Kat — February 8, 2013 @ 9:40 am (#)

This is just CRAZY! It looks so amazing and really brownie-batter-like… Yet it’s healthy?!
    And yeah,I agree: Beans in cookie dough or cake batter… Not for me,please. Although,garbanzo bean flour is great for socca or crackers or homemade healthy cinnamon toast crunch. ;)

• Kylie — February 10, 2013 @ 4:54 pm (#)

ooo homemade healthy cinnamon toast crunch!! I could use some of that in my life!!

6. Natalie — March 18, 2014 @ 8:10 pm (#)

Definitely just made this. And may or may not have added some dark chocolate chunks. Currently dipping apple slices in it and enjoying every bite.

7. Melanie — August 4, 2014 @ 10:21 pm (#)

I’m currently eating this as I type. It’s DELICIOUS. I scaled back on the liquid sweetener (I used maple syrup) to just 1/2 tsp for one serving, as I love bitter dark chocolate. I did however shamelessly added a TBSP of vegan dark chocolate chips. In love <3
    Thank you for the amazing recipe!

• Kylie — August 5, 2014 @ 5:45 am (#)

Awesome!!! So glad you like it! I’m always down for anything batter like:))

8. Anne — December 23, 2014 @ 10:33 am (#)

Would it be possible to eat this for breakfast? So making this tomorrow morning haha :) I love your blog!

Greets from the Netherlands!

• Kylie — December 23, 2014 @ 1:08 pm (#)

Umm breakfast..YES! Brownie batter<3<3<3. And you’re so far away from me! Thanks for reading!!

1. Pingback: Healthy Apple Pie Breakfast | Yeah…imma eat that.

2. Pingback: 8 recipes made with the best fruit...BANANAS! - Yeah...Immaeatthat