Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies with Buckwheat Groats

Things that I know.

Planning a honeymoon will always, always be more fun than writing essays.

IMG_0784

So lately my life has involved me staying up to all hours of the morning searching for things like, “best travel blogs,” “small town tropical honeymoon,” “oceanfront honeymoon cottage.” I’m hoping I’ll find some little, tropical town with a serene, secluded beach and lots of coconuts to drink out of and horses to ride and waves and food.

When Andrew and I were talking about honeymoon destinations I said I just wanted to be able to “eat fun snacks.” He thought that was the most ridiculous response. Ever. But if you’re here, reading a food blog, you get me. Tell me you get me. I just want to be able to walk to little outdoor cafes and local restaurants and eat random (dairy-free) things I’ve never heard of. So yes, that is what I would like out of a honeymoon…snacks.

IMG_0775

Right now Hawaii, Cabo San Lucas or Northern California are on the list. They always went to Cabo on that show Laguna Beach so you know like maybe we should like totally do that too. If you have honeymoon destination ideas I’d love to hear them. Right now our plan of action is to go on a date to Barnes & Noble and spend hours looking through travel magazine/books. And I’m pretty darn excited about it.

IMG_0817

In other news, a Girl Scout rang my door tonight. And I didn’t answer. Does that make me a bad person? I’m thinking yes. I didn’t want to tell her no. And she was so cute. Andrew was like, “why didn’t you just buy cookies?” And I was like, “yeah, I just should have.”

But then what would I complain to y’all about? You see the predicament!?

IMG_0768

I also got a hair cut the other day and the hairdresser said to me, “are you always this quiet?” This was after she told me that, “Your hair is so full and thick on top but then thin and kind of brittle at the ends.” Why yes. Yes it is. Good observations. And yes. I am this quiet after you say things like that to me.

This is gonna sound anti-social so prepare yourself. I think there should be an option when you get your hair cut. A talking or no talking option. If you walk in for your appointment and check the ‘no-talking box,’ then 30 minutes of conversation-free relaxation awaits you. When I get my hair cut I just want to close my eyes and let someone play with my hair which is one of the best feelings ever. Yes, I want a ‘no-talking’ option…and these cookies.

IMG_0816

Okay, so these cookies kinda taste like those soft sprinkles , but I don’t even really like those sprinkles that much but I love the taste of these cookies. So that makes like no sense. (If you just clicked that link, sorry about the tongue. I should have warned you)

The cookies are pretty fragile so they wouldn’t be good to make ice cream sandwiches out of or anything like that. They are not crunchy AT ALL (win)…but are instead soft and doughy.

Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies with Buckwheat Groats

makes 1 dozen cookies

[oh so slightly adapted from the brilliant Katie]

2/3 cup + 1/2 cup oat flour (plus an additional 1-2 Tbsp needed for flouring cookie sheet)

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup evaporated cane juice (or white sugar)

1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped

3 Tbsp buckwheat groats

1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 Tbsp vegetable oil (or coconut oil)

3-5 Tbsp almond milk

Preheat oven to 380F. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and sprinkle with 1-2 Tbsp oat flour. These cookies are sticky(!) so the goal is to make that cookie sheet super non-stick.

In a bowl, combine oat flour, salt, baking soda, brown sugar, white sugar, pecans, and buckwheat groats. In a separate bowl, combine vanilla extract, vegetable oil and almond milk. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in chocolate chips. [Eat a spoonful of cookie dough because it’s vegan and has no raw eggs in it.]

Now dough will be sticky so wet your hands constantly while rolling the cookie dough into balls in order to avoid the dough sticking to your fingers. Roll dough into 12 cookies and place on a super non-stick cookie sheet. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Remove from oven. Cookies should appear slightly under cooked. Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes and then use a metal spatula to transfer them to a cooling rack.

Comments

1. says

My husband and I just got married last August and we went on a 2 week trip to Greece. It was an incredible trip. We spent a few days in Athens to see the big city and ruins and stuff and then island hopped for the rest of the trip. We went to Santorini, Ios and Naxos. Santorini is the most beautiful city in the world. (just watch The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants) Ios and Naxos are so quaint and we just rode a quad scooter around the islands and relaxed on the beach all day. It was pure heaven.

• says

Ooo Greece does sound like a dream:) we’re not sure about that flight though! It sounds so daunting to be on a plane that long haha. I’m beyond sure the trip would be worth it though! I’ve seen sisterhood of the traveling pants and I assume you’re talking about the city with all the white walled buildings with blue doors/windows. It’s hard to believe places like that exist! So gorgeous!

• Christine says

Yep, it really does exist! It was quite a trip to and from on the planes (we flew from Portland, OR) I think like a day and a half each way. But it was definitely worth it! Wherever you end up going it will be amazing. Just being with your new hubby is so fun!

• says

Ooo that’s an even longer flight than it would be for us! But I agree. Anywhere will be great. Just traveling alone, just the two of us will be so fun:):)

2. says

I think not answering the door for a Girl Scout is better than what I did: answered the door, “Hi! Would you like to buy some cookies?? :)”, “Oh. No, sorry, thanks….”, ::shuts door::. One of the more awkward moments of my life. Anyway…these cookies look delicious, where can I find buckwheat groats?

• says

Haha oh Girl Scouts. You seriously can’t go to the grocery store this time of year without being pressured into buying a box…those smiles will get ya. You knew the smile was coming, that’s why you shut the door so fast! Haha I’m glad you see my reasoning for not opening the door:))

I buy my buckwheat groats in the bulk section of my local grocery store. I’m not sure what grocery stores you have around you. Try you local grocery store and then Whole foods/natural foods store if you can’t find them! I really like them! They taste very earthy/nutty but the texture is so good…it’s light but still crunchy. Reminds me of a sugar granule!

3. says

Tongue. Bahaha. Totally clicked. Totally unprepared. But I know what you mean about those sprinkles. And these cookies. Sounds fantastic.

I wish there was a book written on hairdresser etiquette. Am I supposed to keep the conversation going? Because if she is okay with it being silent… I’m *totally* okay with it being silent.

Speaking of tongues. We need an etiquette written for dentist appointments too. What the *beep* do you do with your tongue while they are working on your teeth?!

• says

Ahahahahahahahahaha life is just so confusing!!!! I have no idea what you’re supposed to do with your tongue! One of the many reasons to hate going to the dentist!

And there might totally be a market for etiquette books for hairdressers/dentists! Business opportunity!!!

4. says

Congratulations on your engagement!!

I would look into Belize, especially the town of San Pedro, for your honeymoon. I went there with my family a few years ago and it was amazing- the snorkeling, the food, the getting-around-the-island-via-golf-cart haha. We stayed at the Xanadu resort. I highly recommend it!

• says

I’ll have to add it to the list of possibilities! It keeps getting longer and longer haha:)) There’s so many wonderful places to go! and I’ve heard great things about Belize before! I think everyone should automatically get like a 3 month honeymoon trip so they can hit all the wonderful places in the world before married life gets crazy!

5. says

These cookies look great, definitely a fan of the soft varieties. I went to Costa Rica for m honeymoon and it was a dream- beaches were not crowded at all, yummy food, and very affordable. We went in April, the only thing is that you would want to avoid the rainy season there which is reportedly May- November.

• says

Oooo Costa Rica. I’m completely up for going to Costa Rica but the fiance isn’t really feeling it. It seems more complicated and kind of nerve racking to travel out of the country…especially on our first trip together. We really sound like adventurous souls don’t we? haha:) But it looks incredible there. If you don’t mind me asking, where did y’all stay!?

6. says

We flew in to the Liberia airport (I think we had a connecting flight from LA to Houston, then into Liberia, which is much more chill than the capital San Jose and I think the total travel time was like 8-9 hours). We stayed few days on the coast in Tamarindo at the Cala Luna – http://www.calaluna.com/ …amazing service, private cabanas and free full breakfast ever morning. Then we took and adventurous drive to the rainforest and stayed at the Monteverde Lodge http://www.monteverdeinfo.com/monteverde-lodge/ which was also awesome. Then we went back to the Cala Luna and flew out of Liberia again. The beaches and rainforest were both super beautiful and NOT crowded. As long as you don’t go during spring break or the rainy season it is an awesome place to be. Loved the food too!! If your fiance has a change of heart and you want more info, let me know! Congrats to ya and I love your blog :) Marie