Chocolate Muffin Buckwheat Granola

In the last 24 hours, big things have happened.

IMG_4525

Specifically, I decided what birthday cake I will be making myself. This beautiful cake. My birthday isn’t until June, but there is nothing wrong with being prepared especially when being prepared involves caramelized bananas. Except I’ll probably add in some oat flour because we all know I’m incapable of baking anything without oat flour. Come on June 7th.

IMG_4524

Oh and the other big thing was that I had a mini-tantrum about how San Francisco doesn’t seem very honeymooney and how I want to be one of those people who is up for an adventure for their honeymoon. Even though I’m totally not really (at all) a thrill-seeking person…you could not pay me to jump out of an airplane. But I am totally up for some horseback riding on the beach and kayaking and I really want to stay in one of those little over-the-water bungalow things.

Yes, all those things sound fun. But I’m not big on going on a 32075839 hour plane ride to get to our honeymoon destination since the honeymoon is gonna be pretty quick because of my grad school schedule. And i’m not that big on planes to begin with. I mean, there are most definitely worse things than flying like that time you threw away raw chicken and then realize that there was no trash bag in the trashcan. Or all those times when your arms are so sore from a workout and you know you have to attempt to take off you sports bra…ouch.

IMG_4530

Yeah, flying is not as terrible as those things but it’s still on the bottom of my desired-honeymoon-activities list. So my current searches have led me to…Belize! It’s only a 2 1/2 hour plane ride from Houston!? I had no idea it was so close. I hope you’re getting an idea for how cultured I am (read: not cultured at all). I know this because my usually reaction to seeing something like French-style architecture is “ohh, looks like Disneyland.”

So someone out there has been to Belize. Pu-lease let me know where you stayed/what you ate/did you love it?

And there is just something about coconut anything that makes you feel like you’re on vacation. Which brings me to this coconut oil infused granola. Just like the last granola I like just made the other day, this one is not crunchy but it’s doughy and bready and is somehow reminiscent of a chocolate muffin.

I wish everything in life was this simple. I like granola. I like chocolate muffins. They’re even better when you smoosh them together.

IMG_4541

Chocolate Muffin Buckwheat Granola

makes ~3 cup

1 cup oats (old-fashioned or quick oats)

1 cup buckwheat groats

2 Tbsp + 2 tsp cocoa powder

2 Tbsp chia seeds

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp salt

2/3 cup raw walnuts, chopped

1 ripe banana, mashed

1/3 cup peanut butter (no added sugar)

1 tsp almond extract

3 Tbsp honey

1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, combine oats, buckwheat groats, cocoa powder, chia seeds, cinnamon, salt and walnuts. In a separate bowl, mix together mashed banana, peanut butter, almond extract, honey and coconut oil. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Use your hands if needed.

Spray an oven-safe, 12” x 8.5”casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour/scoop granola into dish and spread evenly over the bottom of the pan. Bake 30-32 minutes, gently stirring every 7-10 minutes. When stirring, be careful NOT to break up the large clumps of granola. Those large clumps are what make the granola seem like a chocolate muffin. Allow to cool before storing in a glass container for up to a week.

[NOTE: Again I say, this granola is not like your normal, crunchy granola. Instead, it’s doughy, bready and muffin-y. All good things.]

[ANOTHER NOTE: Be sure to chew the buckwheat groats well:)]

Comments

1. says

Kylie! How funny that we connected today and I saw this post..I went to Belize a few summers ago! It’s so beautiful. You have to snorkel, relax and eat lots of great food. I LOVED where we stayed– Mata Chica on Ambergris Caye. Definitely stay there! You take a little boat from San Pedro to Ambergris Caye. http://matachica.com/

• says

Haha too funny:) and I actually contacted Matachia early this week about rates!! But we’re going in December and that’s their peak season so if you wanna room you have to stay 7 nights…and we can only stay 5. So we’re looking at a couple other places now. So weird question but did you feel safe when you were there or was it a little sketchy? And was Matachica an all-inclusive resort or did you get to go to restaurants around town?

• says

Oh well that’s strange! I don’t think Matachica was all-inclusive. We went to different restaurants in San Pedro as well. It wasn’t sketchy. We felt safe and everyone is so nice there. And they speak English so it makes things easier!

2. says

Grad school schedules are seriously the WORST for planning vacations!! But I do have to put in a good word for SF – it’s seriously one of my favorite cities!! So much good food and there is so much hiking/outdoorsy/wild/crazy stuff for you to do!

I say you make the birthday cake ahead of time. You know…as a test run. :P

And this granola sounds SO.GOOD. Who wouldn’t want chocolate for breakfast!

• says

I DO(!) want to go to SF but I feel like that’s a vacation we could totally take in the future and I’m not sure if we would ever go to Belize otherwise. We were so set on SF and were about to book our hotel but the idea of doing something different is kinda exciting and scary because I don’t know what Belize would be like. But then again if we went to San Francisco we could easily go back for anniversaries and whatnot and have all those honeymoon memories. I’m all conflicted haha.

3. says

I mentioned Belize in a comment awhile back…it’s absolutely amazing! Please seriously consider it! I went with my family and we stayed here: http://xanaduislandresort.com/ It’s on the island Ambergris Caye, so you take a little plane from the mainland to the island (sounds scary/thought it would be scary, but it was actually really cool). The town where this resort is (and a major tourist area) is San Pedro. You get around town by golf cart, which is sort of awesome.

The beaches are not really lay-out-and-go-swimming because of the reef, but the snorkeling more than makes up for it. We did ours with this guy Alphonse, who is apparently known for being one of the best guides/has been in books and stuff. The resort booked all of this for us.

Enjoy planning this :) It’s so exciting!

• says

Haha I bet you put the idea in my subconscious:) I’ll definitely checkout that resort! I keep going back and forth, San Francisco-Belize-San Francisco-Belize!! Ahhh decisions!! Thank you for the input though:):) I never realized how hard it was to plan a vacation…I’m worried about pictures online looking nothing like reality haha:))

4. says

I absolutely love Belize! The people are wonderful and the snorkeling/scuba diving is amazing! Belize boasts the second best coral reef in the world and the water is so blue! I would highly recommend Pelican Beach Resort, http://www.pelicanbeachbelize.com/general/pelican-beach-south-water-caye-2.html. When I went, we took up the whole island because I was with a group. But, it was some of the best food I have ever eaten, fresh fruit and seafood were the norm. The staff was incredibly friendly and the rooms were beachy little cottages right on the sand. I would highly recommend it; I love San Francisco too though. I think that you would just have two very different honeymoon experiences depending on where you go.

• says

SARAH! Thanks so much for the comment!! Seriously! It’s so helpful to hear about Belize from people who have actually been there! I will definitely check out this Pelican Beach Resort. And I LOVE hearing about the food. I imagine the food being fresh and tropical but then I was like…”I know nothing about the culture, they could be big on fried food”. So I like hearing about some fresh fruit and seafood…exactly what I was hoping for:)

5. says

I myself have never been to Belize, but my uncle grew up there, and my aunt went there for Peace Corp(where she met her husband) and LOVED it! A few of my family members have gone since then, and they all loved it. I know they went snorkeling, and canoeing through a cave, and fun, semi-adventurous things like that, and they all LOVED it. Granted, I have no suggestions for places to stay, since they all have stayed with family, but that is definately my next big vacation location(though it is way more than a 2 1/2 hr flight from Cleveland).

Trackbacks