{Healthier} Chocolate Pecan Pie in a Jar

I think I want to incorporate A TON of rosemary into my wedding.

Chocolate Pecan Pie in a Jar (15 of 16)

Not in the food (necessarily), but lining the aisle in pretty bouquets with fluffy, white hydrangeas and baby’s breath.  And the boys could wear little rosemary + baby’s breath boutonnieres (definitely had to google the spelling on that one).  I found these. But with the cotton they’re just too umm southern.  And then this one is pretty but there isn’t even rosemary in it which is counterproductive.  But I’d add in rosemary and then take out the purple flowers and add in something pale pink…or nude.  Do they even make a nude flower?  I’m sure I’ll change my mind in like a week.  But for now I’m rosemary obsessed.

Also obsessed with that Taylor Swift Diet Coke Commercial where everyone is singing, “It feels like the perfect night, to dress up like hipsters”…that guy singing in the car kills me.  Love it.

Chocolate Pecan Pie in a Jar (1 of 16)Chocolate Pecan Pie in a Jar (2 of 16)

What I don’t love is when I come out of the grocery store and forget what my rental car looks like and walk around the parking lot trying to act cool and not like someone who not only forgot where she parked her car but also forgot what the car looked like.  And the car is definitely not a minty blue.  It’s like a black-dark green-ish color.  Better than plain black but I think all rental cars should be a minty blue…think of how happy all rental car drives would be!(!!!!!)

Chocolate Pecan Pie in a Jar (6 of 16)

Soo my birthday weekend was good.  I made ribs and drank a chocolate coconut water and ate dessert out of these cute, little jars.  Sounds like a joyous combination to me.  And somewhere during my birthday dinner my dad mentioned that he’s willing to give some financial incentives to whoever decides to keep their maiden name after they get married.  I have 2 sisters so once we are all married off our last name will end with our generation.  He’s just kidding…I think.  He’s still so excited about (possibly) having a grandson named, “Dennis Mitchell,” (as in the little kid from Dennis the Menace) to actually care about me keeping my maiden name.

Chocolate Pecan Pie in a Jar (10 of 16)

Okay, onto what’s smooshed inside these jars.  It’s a fun and cute recipe mainly because it comes in this little, fun, cute jar.  Everything is more fun in a jar.  And yet again, this is one of those recipes where I make you make another recipe just to make this one…annoying (i know).  But I promise I’ll branch out and stop using that skinny brownie recipe…but first you must make these.  And this is like a super transportable dessert because of said little, fun, cute jars.

Also, this recipe has you make a date paste.  So that involves you letting the dates soak in some water for 12 hours (or overnight).  Just so ya know!

Chocolate Pecan Pie in a Jar (13 of 16)

Chocolate Pecan Pie in a Jar

makes 9 8-oz mason jars

Crust Layer

3 cups Sunrise Crunchy Maple

2 Tbsp honey

6 T coconut oil, melted

Preheat oven to 325 F.

Use a food processor/blender to crush cereal into a flour.  Pour crushed cereal into a bowl.  Add in honey and coconut oil.  Stir until wet ingredients are well combined into the cereal.  You may need to use your hands.

Divide the crust mixture between 9 8-ounce glass mason jars.  Gently pack the crust down using a spoon.  DO NOT firmly press the crust mixture down because it will become WAY TOO hard and you won’t be able to eat it.  Bake gently packed crushed mixture for 20-25 minutes.  Or until beginning to turn a slightly darker golden brown than it already is.

Chocolate Layer

1 batch skinny brownies, crumbled (about 3 cups)

1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt (I used chobani)

3 Tbsp peanut butter (no added salt or sugar)

In a large bowl, mix together crumbled brownies, greek yogurt and peanut butter.  Use your hands to pack ingredients together into a dough.

Pecan Pie Layer

19 dates, pitted

2 cups pecans

Allow dates to soak overnight in 3/4 cup water.  Once soft, pour dates + water into a high powered blender/food processor and blend until smooth to create a date paste.  Scoop date paste into a large bowl and set aside while you roast your pecans.

Roast pecans by laying pecans in a single layer on a plate and microwaving for ~1 1/2 minutes, stirring after every 20 seconds.  Once roasted, roughly chop half of the pecans.  Add both halved and chopped pecans into the date paste and stir until incorporated.

Assemble Chocolate Pecan Pie

Garnish: 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt + 9 roasted pecan halves

Evenly divide the chocolate dough layer in 9 balls.  Drop the chocolate dough balls into the mason jars on top of the pie crust.  Press the chocolate dough balls into a flat layer.  On top of the chocolate layer, add the date paste + pecan layer.  Top with a scant spoonful of vanilla greek yogurt and a pecan half.  Cover and allow to chill before serving (1 hour in the freezer or 3 hours+ in the fridge).

Chocolate Pecan Pie in a Jar (11 of 16)

Comments

• says

Haha it’s a hard word to spell! I’m thinking it’s french? (I’ve never been good at languages.) And I like the second one too! It looks like a mini bouquet because it’s just looks full. I feel like so many boutonnières look a little flat or are too simple.

1. says

Why would you ever stop using the brownie recipe when they sound so delicious? :)

Yay about the car not being black/brown! When you mentioned not being able to find your rental car because you forgot what it looked like… I thought “Oh yes! That’s me ALL the time.” Except, I don’t drive a rental car. Haha. We just have 4 cars in the family and it’s totally possible that wherever I went I could be driving any one of them. I’ve literally spent 10 minutes walking around to only realize that I was looking for the wrong car.

Hope you can get your own car soon and get rid of the rental! Also hope everything with the x-rays went okay.

• says

Thanks for following up with me about the x-rays. I got them back today and no fractures or anything. So that’s great news.

I just wish the pain/numbness would disappear now. I’m sure i’ll be all better in a week but for now blahh. I’m just trying to do a lot of light stretching and I’ve been swimming some too which doesn’t seem to hurt me. I’m just annoyed I can’t run or lift weights. It could always be worse and I should be grateful and I sound selfish but ugh it’s just annoying.

2. says

Those look great by the way! I would love to keep my last name, for the reasons you mention. I don’t want to cut off the lineage and hold it dear as long as I can. However, my boyfriend didn’t sound so pleased with the idea when we were talking about it lightly. Time will tell!

3. says

Question! How did you get such a perfect, bright white background in that second to last photo? (Well, all the photos really…). Sometimes I try using a white foam board in my background, but it always ends up turning a weird gray-ish, not quite white color in the final photo…

Also, these look FANTASTICALLY DELICIOUS! I love the ingredients, presentation, styling, lighting–everything!

• says

I know about the weird gray-ish color from the foam board! But i’ve recently started shooting with my camera on the manual setting…so I play around with the ISO and try not to rely so much on post-processing.

And I use Lightroom for post-processing so that lets me change the color of the background if messing with the ISO didn’t get rid of the grey-ish tone!:)

• says

Ah, that’s interesting. I’ll have to see if I can handle manual setting…I’ll give it a try at least :) Thanks!

• says

The only thing is that my dad isn’t a big rosemary fan haha…I’m sure he could deal with it for a day but if it’s lining the asiles he might get way too sick of it!

4. says

I saw that diet coke commercial the other day and pretty much fell in love. Oh hipsters…pretty sure they don’t drink diet coke though. it’s not really ironic enough.

Dessert in a jar is so much fun especially as a birthday treat! Yum!

5. says

GENIUS. I need to make those skinny brownies still too (especially because it gives me an excuse to then make these).

Also – I too have 2 sisters so my last name (which is “Elf”) will also die off when/if we all get married. Strangely, it’s my Mom who has always told us to keep it! Though I don’t think my dad would’ve been against it either ;)

• says

Haha that’s funny! I guess your mom has grown pretty fond of the name:) She probably just doesn’t want your children to be deprived of such a fun name:))

6. says

Everything totally is more fun eaten out of a jar!

Also: re the wedding – my friends had an herb theme to their wedding and they had lovely hand painted invitations, menu cards, etc with different herbs and then had each table identified by an herb and had the centerpieces be actual herb plants (the one that matched the table name obviously). It was so original and elegant and simple. My point is: go with the rosemary! It will be lovely!

Trackbacks