Guest Post from Buttercream Fanatic: Double Chocolate Black Bean Brownies

While I’m on vacation I have lined up some guest posts for you! First up is the talented & beautiful Nora from Buttercream Fanatic

Kylie may not realize it, but she and I have an inside joke: black bean brownies.

The first time I made black bean brownies, I loved them. The concept was great, you cannot taste the beans, and they are gluten-free, moist, and very high fiber. But, that same day, Kylie posted her Skinny Brownies, in the description of which she professes her, ahem, reservations about beans in brownies. And since my first batch of black bean brownies turned pretty great, I decided it was my mission to make her a believer (I may or may not actually have told her that, until now). So I guess our inside joke is Kylie secretly loves black bean brownies. She just doesn’t know it yet.

DSC_0464

Listen, upfront you probably totally agree with her that this is a bizarre concept and wouldn’t blame you for doubting my credibility, taste buds, and – let’s face it – sanity right now. But think about it: black beans are relatively tasteless and take on whatever flavors they are paired with. They are starchy and moist, so they replace not only the flour (bulk) in the recipe, but also some of the fat. You see, fat provides moisture in baked goods, and since the beans contribute so much moisture on their own, the need for additional fat is significantly reduced. The chocolate chips, cocoa powder and vanilla extract provide the flavor, and the beans are pureed into oblivion so you don’t get any bean-ish texture either. These should really be called Stealth Black Bean Brownies.

These wonder brownies are also incredibly low-effort: make them in 5 minutes in a food processor and pour them in a pan to bake for 25 minutes.

DSC_0440

So let’s recap: these brownies are fast and easy to make, gluten-free, high-fiber, nearly-fat-free, and contain very low sugar. Wait!! Don’t run away. There is no catch.

I know what you’re thinking, and they do not taste like chocolate-dipped cardboard. In fact, these easy, healthy, 30-minute brownies are delicious. They are moist, dense and deeply chocolatey throughout, almost like fudge, plus, you get a bit of creamy chocolate – from the chips on top – in every bite. No one who tried these without being aware of the, ahem, secret ingredient, had any idea what they were eating. They all thought it was a full fat, wheat-filled brownie! Trust me, you would never know they are so good for you, and certainly never feel deprived. Feel free to use these trick your friends and family into eating healthy. I won’t tell.

DSC_0421

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

makes 8 browines

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + more for the top

1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Pinch salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt*

1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder

*Note: I used fat free Chobani, but feel free to use whatever you have around, as long as it is Greek and plain.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. This will take about 90 seconds to a minute on the high power setting. They may not melt completely; stir vigorously to finish melting the chips until chocolate has a smooth and uniform consistency.

Pour black beans and melted chocolate into a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to pulse until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pulse a few more times to make sure everything is completely incorporated.

Pour into prepared pan and smooth to level and fill corners, etc. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 25 minutes until the top has cracked slightly and the center has set. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before cutting into 2″ squares.

Makes 8 brownies. These are best if eaten immediately after they are made, but can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.

DSC_0434

About Kylie

Hello! My name is Kylie and imma eat that. I like to EAT. I try to make it healthy. And I love you, for being here.
This entry was posted in Dessert, gluten free. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Guest Post from Buttercream Fanatic: Double Chocolate Black Bean Brownies

1. Liz says:

Sounds good and healthy. Thank you Kylie.

2. Holy cow. I seriously have never seen black bean brownies that look so much like… Well, brownies ;) Super awesome pick for a guest poster Kylie! Hope you are having a blast on vacation!!

And Nora, I think you have succeeded in your post. I completely forgot this was a guest post when I scrolled down to see the recipe (yes, I am one of those who both ignores the title as well as the opening of the post–just at first!–in favor of seeing the ingredients– haha), and I was wondering what had gotten into Kylie because I remember quite recently her mentioning something about disliking beans in brownies. Lol.

3. Monica says:

Wow that looks amazing, and a great sales pitch too. I’m totally on the dark side now (:

• Kylie says:

Nora @ Buttercream Fanatic totally made the most amazing black bean brownies I have EVER seen. So fudgy. I was so glad I found her for a guest poster!

4. I would be so up for trying these! There going on my ‘to make’ list! I read a recipe for low fat brownies a few weeks ago, where they used MAYONNAISE as the moistening element. I could actually be sick at the thought. Ick!

• Kylie says:

Eww. I’m a serious mayonnaise hater. I actually have a “no-mayonnaise” rule in my car haha. You should most definitely make these brownies instead…much better idea:))

5. Joanne says:

I’ve made really terrible black bean brownies before but yours look incredibly fudgy and crazy delicious!!

6. Kymberli says:

I made two batches of these brownies today- a test batch, and then one with revisions.
    The original recipe brownies were way too rich and dark for me- and I love dark chocolate! They were so overwhelmingly chocolate-y that they were almost bitter. Also, they refused to set; even after an extra 15 minutes in the oven they were still ‘gooey’! I ended up cutting the 8 squares again into 4 (totaling 32 roughly 1″ squares) and dowsing them in powdered sugar to cut some of the richness.
    In my revision recipe, I bumped the oven to 375, used milk chocolate chips, and cut out the extra Tbsp cocoa. I also added 1/2 tsp Vanilla, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and upped the pinch of salt to a 1/4 tsp. The second batch turned out much better than the first!
    If you try this recipe, at least turn your oven up. It won’t burn the brownies- and you won’t have to bake them for 40 minutes.

• Kymberli says:

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also added 3 Tbsp white sugar to the recipe! It definitely needed some sort of sweetener. I’m sure agave nectar or molasses would work just as well- perhaps even maple syrup…

• Hi Kymberli,

Thanks for sharing what you did! You’re right – these brownies are very dark-chocolatey. I like a very deep chocolate taste in my brownies, and I like them to be very dense, so I designed this recipe with those two criteria in mind! I’ve tried other recipes before that I found to be too sweet, too black-bean-y and too cakey. To each their own, I guess! :) So glad you found an adaptation that works for you!

7. Kelly says:

I’ve had my eye on this recipe and finally made it. I can’t wait to share this with more friends! Amazing chocolately thick brownies and I don’t taste the bean at all! For this recipe I omitted the yogurt and used carob chips instead of choc chips and added stevia. Can’t get enough if these! Thanks for sharing :)

8. rose says:

I just used oikos black cherry greek yogurt and OH MY GOODNESS..can u say chocolate cherry!!! smells and good as it taste, awesome yummyness!

9. leanonlife says:

Wow amazing dish I like your guest post from butter-cream fanatic double chocolate black bean brownies. Your black bean brownies is looking very nice. So simple to make and healthy dish. My kids loved this recipe, I will always make this recipe for my kids. Thanks for the sharing this recipe.

10. Is there any chance we can get an educated guess on the Carb and protein levels in these? I am thinking these make a great treat for someone with diabetes

• Kylie says:

Hi Annette!

I plugged the recipe into USDA’s Supertracker software to find out the nutritional information. I calculated these numbers using the recipe printed above + 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips to garnish the top.

Here’s the facts Supertracker gave for the entire recipe:

871 calories
      35 grams protein
      122 grams carbohydrates
      24 grams fiber

I hope that helps!!

11. kenziedegen says:

Hey, quick question- no sugar, honey, agave, substitute at all? Does the chocolate and greek yogurt make up for it?

• Kylie says:

Hey! I still haven’t gotten around to trying these myself but I know people who have made them and love them. Also, I keep receiving comments about how great they are!! So according to those sources they are still delicious even without a sweetener:)

12. Hermione Hairpie says:

Wait — what??? You haven’t tried the brownies that you wrote and entire blog post about? OMG, just OMG! Whatever chick, you are lame.

13. Pingback: Double Chocolate Black Bean Brownies | Hi Life… I'm Awesome

14. Isidoraz says:

I made this today, they are amazing!!!! They don’t need any sweetener imo, they taste just perfect!

15. Stephanie says:

Made these last night since I was stuck inside from the 2014 polar vortex! These are so delicious. I never would’ve thought they’d have such yummy flavor and texture for having black beans. These are my new to go to brownie recipe. And that’s a lot coming from someone who loves her sweets and chocolate made w/only butter!

16. Pingback: Post 68 – Gluten free Baking Day | Erin Eating Everything

17. Erin P says:

Thanks for the comment, Kylie, and for the recipe. I think it’s a good one, though I would definitely make a few modifications next time.

18. noelleh18 says:

Hi! i just made your brownies and followed the directions to a tee! Not good…not sure what happened here. I love a dark chocolate flavor but there was so sweetness at all and tasted like an unsweetened mess! no one noticed the beans and that was a great way to sneak some fiber in but the lack of sweetness was a big miss around here. I wish I could have photographed the faces of my test subjects as it was funny! Sorry and i would love another suggestion on how to tweak this recipe a bit!

• Kylie says:

Hi:) Sorry you weren’t too crazy about the brownies! This post was actually a guest post done by another blogger. But funnily enough, I hadn’t made this recipe until this weekend. I know what you mean about them not being very sweet. I loved how fudgy they were…texture was amazing to me, but next time around I might add a couple tablespoons sugar. My post this coming Friday is a version of these that you might like better!!

19. Pingback: Less Slutty BrowniesYeah…imma eat that

20. Tim McDonald says:

I just made these in a double batch. I used a 9×13 Pyrex with an electric oven at 350 for 25 minutes. I would like to start and say I am not a ‘healthy’ person but I am a fat guy trying to eat better. I followed the recipe exactly and I noticed a few things.

First, they taste awesome. The flavor in this recipe is flawless. It’s got this real chocolaty flavor and it’s amazing. It may be too dark chocolaty for some but I like dark chocolate. These definitely DO NOT taste like beans. A lot of people seem concerned with that but they should not be worried.

Second, these are very crumbly. Not sure if it’s me or not but the brownies are falling apart to the point of being an inconvenience. I will try a smaller pan for the next batch and possibly more egg for more binding.

21. Pingback: Black Bean Brownie | IMG Recipes| Discover Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images