Dark Chocolate Espresso Cookies Stuffed with Almond Butter
I’ve never been a coffee drinker.
I tried (really tried) in college, but I just couldn’t do it. Like still now when I go to starbucks I’m seriously at a loss as to what to do with myself so I just default to an unsweetened green tea. How boring are we?!
But smooshing coffee-ness into your cookies (or oatmeal) is a completely different story. A story that involves happiness versus one that involves confusion over why starbucks still doesn’t offer almond milk. I guess it’s because almond milk can’t be heated past a certain temperature. Because this one time I tried to make hot chocolate out of almond milk and the flavor was kinda weird, but definitely not weird enough to not drink it. You know what I’m saying?
So I now have 6 stuffed cookie recipes. I love each one a little more than the last one I make so it’s really grown into an addiction of sorts where I’ll spend my entire 1 1/2 hour compute home thinking about what things I could stuff inside a cookie. I think I should work my way up to 12 different stuffed cookies by Christmas and then do some fun “12 Days of Christmas” Cookie Party where I invite you all over and we wear ugly sweater and we drink boozy hot chocolate and we make (or just eat) all 12 cookies. That’d be time well spent. But since I’ve decided I’m not meant to plan parties (much less weddings), someone else will need to take over on the planning front. Any volunteers?
Speaking of the wedding, I just cracked under the pressure and we’ve now hired a wedding planner. Whoopsies. But then a part of me is all like how was I going to deny myself the chance to maybe have someone similar to Jennifer Lopez or better yet, Franck, plan my wedding? That’s just one of those experiences that you have to have in life. Right?!
Another one of those necessary life experiences is eating a cookie stuffed with something. You’re all like, “oh a cookie. yum.” but then that’s not the end of it. Because then you bite into it and SURPRISE! There’s a creamy center. Like an oreo would have. Except these aren’t vegan. But yet they contain a much better ingredients list than any packaged cookie you’ll find.
- 1 cup oat flour, firmly packed
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 tsp instant coffee
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 egg
- heaping 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3-1/2 cup almond butter, salted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine oat flour, almond flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder and sea salt. In a small bowl, combine instant coffee, coconut oil and honey. Microwave, stirring after 15 second intervals until the instant coffee is dissolved. Allow to cool for 2 minutes before adding to the dry ingredients. Add in the egg and combine until a dough is formed. Add the chocolate chips and incorporate them into the dough.
- Now take a small ball of cookie dough and flatten it into a pancake shape. Place a small spoonful of almond butter in the center of the flattened dough and carefully roll up the dough around the almond butter. Roll stuffed cookie dough into a ball. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake for 15 minutes.