Sweet Potato & Cottage Cheese Pizza for One
This recipe isn’t Thanksgiving-y.
I had every intention of making something pumpkin-filled for today, but then I realized that I’m very nearly pumpkin-ed out. And that’s a bad thing to be around Thanksgiving. So I was in need of a palate cleansing meal of sorts. One that involved no pumpkin or cranberries or casseroles or weird purple marshmallow thing or green beans or mashed potatoes or stuffing or turkey. But sweet potatoes to me aren’t really a seasonal thing. They’re an every season food. So they were exempt from being exempt from this palate cleanse. You following this?
If I’m completely harshing your Thanksgiving vibe, sorry.
The whole sweet potato + cottage cheese combination is something new to me. And I’m loooving it. Plus, these roasted sweet potatoes look like giant pepperonis. And who doesn’t like giant pepperonis?
I ate this pizza for lunch yesterday and then The Italian (aka sister’s boyfriend) came and brought us real pizza for dinner. It was a nice break from anything remotely Thanksgiving-like.
As I type this, we’re watching The Family Stone. Love it. Not that we’re trying to bypass Thanksgiving or anything. Jumping ahead to a Christmas movie is part of the palate cleanse. Somehow.
So I always have this debate over how to slice pizza. Go all traditional with regular pizza slices or try to be exciting and different with ‘creative’ shaped pizza slices. My creativity ended up coming out helplessly awkward looking. So it goes. At least I tried.
So this weekend we went to the country to hang out with Andrew’s family. We ate grilled cheeses on crusty bread + warm soup + salad topped with goat cheese and walnuts. Then we sat around the table spreading non-vegan chocolate on vegan peanut butter cookies and had a thoughtful conversation about how it completely tasted like a Reese’s peanut butter cup. It was the best.
And now Thursday is Thanksgiving and more family time is on the way. And pumpkin pie. And mashed potatoes. And sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon oat flour, packed
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- scant 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3, 1-inch thick sweet potato slices
- 1 small handful spinach
- 1/3 cup cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup chicken, cooked & shredded
- 3 Tablespoons pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F. Slice sweet potato into 3/4-inch thick rounds. Roast for 35 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time.
- Meanwhile, prepare pizza crust. In a small bowl, combine oat flour, ground flaxseed, italian seasonings and salt. Add in egg and stir until a dough is formed. Line a baking sheet with foil. Flour the foil and your hands. Roll the dough into a ball and place on the foil. Press into a THIN circle. Can fold the edge over to make a 'crust' is you want to. Bake for 10 minutes in 400F oven.
- Remove from oven and top with pizza sauce, spinach, cottage cheese, shredded chicken and roasted sweet potato rounds. Return to oven for 5-8 minutes, or until all ingredients are hot. Slice and serve (to yourself).