Jan 21

{The Recipe ReDux}: Homemade Pesto Chicken Pizza

I want to make pizza night a thing in my life.

Recipe Redux-Pizza (8 of 8)

Not delivery-make-you-feel-like-junk pizza (don’t get me wrong, there is a time and place for delivery pizza…I still can’t wait to try this place).  But on a simple weeknight, my cravings tend to be a little more wholesome (or at least I’ve taught myself that they need to be…one can not live on pizza, burgers and pancakes alone).  My perfect wholesome pizza is served on a whole-wheat crust, loaded with veggies, lean protein and just enough strong cheese so you still feel like you’re eating pizza.

Recipe Redux-Pizza (2 of 8)

In my book of things I know, for a pizza to be considered a pizza it must have (1) a delicious crust, (2) some type of sauce and (3) cheese.  Let’s talk some more about this crust.  I think whole-grains are the most fun “healthy” food.  They can be used to healthy-up so many things…cinnamon rolls, banana pudding, quiche, brownie batter.  Obviously my heart belongs to oat flour.  Love it.  However, in the name of variety I decided to branch out and use whole wheat flour for this pizza crust.

It was for sure the right choice.  Oat flour can’t do the whole fluffy-yet-crispy-can’t-wait-to-sink-your-teeth-in-to-it crust like wheat flour can.  Or that’s how I feel.

And I guess I have a lot of feelings.  You see, if you’ve read this blog for like 2 minutes you know that I just got married.  I won’t shut-up about it…I know, it’s getting annoying.  You’re probably all like, “you’ve been married for 23 days now, can’t we talk about something else? Anything else?!”  But back to my feelings.  Andrew made the oh-so-true observation this weekend that I start every sentence with, “I feel.”  As in, “I feel like we should buy a cantaloupe,” “I feel like we should go get frozen yogurt,” “I feel like we should get a puppy,” “I feel like my clothes don’t match”…I feel in every single sentence I say.  So emotional.  I guess.  The things you learn about yourself.

Recipe Redux-Pizza (6 of 8)

Sometime in the future I plan on like tripling this pizza dough recipe and freezing the dough so we can have pizza whenever the need strikes.  And if you’re strapped for time during the week (because who isn’t, I don’t even have kids (or a dog…how sad) and I feel like there is never enough time), I would recommend making this dough on the weekend.  Then roll it into a ball and store it in the freezer.  The day before you want to make the pizza, allow the dough to thaw in the fridge overnight and throughout the next day.  Then it’s pizzah time.

The Recipe Redux theme this week was Pizza Party!  With the idea to create a pizza recipe so you could give the delivery guy a night off.  You can top the crust with anything.  And I feel like pizza is just the best way to use up leftover chicken.

Recipe Redux-Pizza (7 of 8)

Homemade Pesto Chicken Pizza
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
  1. 1 cup whole wheat flour
  2. 3/4 cup bread flour (or all-purpose flour)
  3. 1/2 cup warm water
  4. 1 tablespoon olive oil
  5. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  6. 1 package active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoons)
  7. 1 tablespoon honey
Pesto Chicken Pizza
  1. 1 cup shredded chicken, cooked
  2. 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
  3. 1 cup arugula, packed
  4. 1/3 cup asiago cheese, shredded
  5. 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  6. 2-3 tablespoons pesto
  1. In a small bowl, mix together the warm water, olive oil and salt. Sprinkle the yeast over the top and allow mixture to sit until bubbly (about 5 minutes). In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine wheat and white flour. Add in yeast mixture and honey. Use the dough hook to knead dough on lowest speed for 3 minutes. Then turn up the speed to the next level for 4 minutes. Coat a bowl with olive oil. Roll dough into a ball and place into the bowl, turning once to coat in the olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour.
  2. Preheat oven to 400F. Then, punch down dough and place onto a floured surface. Roll dough out into the desired shape and bake for 10 minutes.
  3. Add all toppings in the following order: pesto, tomato slices, arugula, shredded chicken, feta and asiago. Return to oven until cheese is melted. Slice and serve.
Serves 2-3

17 Responses to “{The Recipe ReDux}: Homemade Pesto Chicken Pizza”

1. Nora (Buttercream Fanatic) — January 21, 2014 @ 1:25 pm (#)

I feel like this pizza looks amazing and I also feel like I would like to eat it. :-)

2. jillconyers — January 21, 2014 @ 2:36 pm (#)

Your crust looks amazing! Pesto is a perfect alternative to traditional pizza sauces.

3. Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen — January 21, 2014 @ 8:55 pm (#)

good idea about making a triple batch and freezing some!

4. Liz Weiss — January 21, 2014 @ 9:08 pm (#)

I love pesto as a base for pizza. Great recipe, super flavorful ingredients, and as always, gorgeous photos. I want a bite NOW!

5. Cheryl Meyer — January 22, 2014 @ 6:37 am (#)

Your pizza looks absolutely delicious! I thinks freezing the dough is a fantastic plan – make sure you can beat the delivery guy when you next feel like a pizza ;)

6. Katie @ 24 Carrot Life — January 22, 2014 @ 11:35 am (#)

Yay for comments and pizza!

7. scfrench23 — January 22, 2014 @ 12:05 pm (#)

oh my gosh. here are the things.

1. you definitely need a homemade pizza night in your life. it revolutionized my childhood and ranks in the top 3 reasons for me to drive home for a weekend. and when (i assume it’s not an “if”) you get a dog you can watch netflix and eat pizza and cozy up and it’s perfect.

2. i say “i feel…” way too much too. but i think it’s good. it’s the alternative to saying “i want.” it’s like you’re saying “deep in my heart of hearts I am getting the feeling that frozen yogurt would be nice” which means you should obvi go get froyo. because saying “i want frozen yogurt” almost sounds like a pushy idea from the get go and it’s way easier to shoot down.

3. i like this post and this recipe and this pizza!

• Kylie — January 22, 2014 @ 8:24 pm (#)

The dog thing is most definitely a WHEN! I want that netflix scenario you just played out for me!!!

8. housewifeintraining — January 23, 2014 @ 9:20 am (#)

Gorgeous shots! This pizza looks to die for and its only 8:30 am here! Yum!

9. erika — January 27, 2014 @ 4:17 pm (#)

Omg! I literally JUST tried Pinks for the first time on Saturday. It was okay. I would definitely recommend getting a whole pizza and not one of their “big” slices or whatever…I got a slice that looked/tasted like it had been reheated, but my roommate got a 12″ that looked way fresher/more delicious. Pizza L’Vino, Frank’s Pizza and Pizzeria Solario are next on my list. Have you been to Pizaro’s? Best in Houston, imo! (Although this looks reeeeally tasty!)

10. IPinRecipes — March 4, 2014 @ 12:16 am (#)

Love the idea of pesto chicken pizza, would be delighted if you could share your recipes with us at a community for food bloggers and food lovers. With you can directly pin recipes from your blog like Pinterest. No need to edit, crop images and your recipes will be published immediately without any editorial review. So why to wait, join our community and start pinning recipes.

Happy Pinning!!!

iPinRecipes Team

1. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Pizza | Eating 4 Balance

2. Pingback: That Time I Spent $20 on PB | Jessie Bear, What Will You Wear?

3. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Pizza | Eating For Balance

4. Pingback: 100 Homemade pizza recipe | Rilane - We Aspire to Inspire

5. Pingback: Homemade Pesto Chicken Pizza | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images

6. Pingback: Amazing Homemade Dough For Fried Dough | Pizza Cooking