Peanut Butter Banana & Honey Bread
It’s a peanut butter + banana + honey sandwich all stuffed into a single slice of bread.
I had never made banana bread with slices of bananas in it. Now I know that the banana chunks are like little treasures of deliciousness throughout. They were made to be left in banana bread. It’s like when you’re eating chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and you come across the cookie dough parts and they’re the best parts. So that’s what the banana slices are in this bread, they’re like the best.
My grandma (the one who fed me cookie dough for breakfast (on occasion)) used to make me peanut butter, banana and honey sandwiches all the time. That’s a childhood highlight right there.
I loovvvee snack breads like these. Especially when you turn the slices into french toast. Gah that’s when breakfast gets good. And then top it with greek yogurt and fruit. And it happens to be Saturday morning. And then you and your smokin’ hot husband go to the gym is a slight carb coma. That would be a good day. Ugh, I wish this bread would’ve lasted more than 3 days. Then that dream day might’ve had a chance to happen. But nope. Maybe we’ll just sleep in instead. I could go for some serious sleep right now.
Last Saturday looked like this. And did not involve gym time. Sometimes you just need a break. I had been craving that doughnut for months. Okay maybe not months, but definitely weeks. Every direction you leave from our new house you pass a Shipley’s. It was bound to happen eventually. I actually thought the doughnut was gonna be a cake doughnut. But it wasn’t. Was slightly disappointed.
I love food blogs. And writing whole paragraphs about doughnuts. Especially doughnuts with pink icing and rainbow sprinkles. I should make my own version. If my dad were here he’d say, “can’t you just leave doughnuts alone?”
And I also love taking pictures of bread with chunks of dark chocolate. Speaking of dark chocolate, Valentine’s Day is coming up. I’m definitely a dark chocolate > flowers type of girl. I think we’re just gonna sit around and break into our massive stash of champagne we got from our wedding. There’s like 6 bottles in our house. Sounds like love to me.
So this bread. It’s great for breakfast or a snack or a dessert or paired with a salad for lunch/dinner. So versatile. And peanut buttery.
Highlight of my dietetic internship this week: I got to slice up the most giant pan of jello ever seen. It was great.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup oats (I used quick oats)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup almond milk (I used original)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (no added salt/oil/sugar)
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add-ins: 1/2 ripe banana, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a bowl, combine oat flour, coconut flour, oats, brown sugar, ground flaxseed, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine egg, almond milk, peanut butter, mashed banana, honey and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in banana slices. Scoop into a greased/floured loaf pan (dough will seem thick). Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown and a inserted knife comes out clean. Allow to cool ~15 minutes before slicing.