Gooey Whole Grain Cinnamon Rolls in Orange Cups
we’re putting baked goods in cute, orange cups!
Disclaimer: You should have milk near when you eat these. Because milk + gooey cinnamon rolls were MFEA. Totally Sleepless in Seattle style. I ate one of these rolls and then went to the kitchen to get some milk only to see the husband drinking (from the jug) the very last of our milk. nooooooo. Actually double nooooo. nooooo to drinking from the jug and noooooo to the milk disappearing.
So I had to quench my thirst with peach tea. And it wasn’t even real tea…it was crystal light, which I don’t even really know what’s in that. I needed milk. It’s an unspoken rule that if you’re gonna use the last of the milk you have to announce to the entire household what you’re about to do. You never know when someone’s gonna eat a super fudgy brownie (or cinnamon rolls in an orange cup) and feel like they will die of thirst if they don’t get a glass of milk. You just never know.
While trying to be helpful this weekend I ended up washing Andrew’s wallet. It was in his jeans pocket and jeans went into the wash and wallet got soaked. Fail. I also broke my chocolate chips rule -don’t buy chocolate chips unless you have a plan for them because little handfuls will get eaten and then oh look the entire bag is gone- so quite a few chocolate chips were eaten this week. Fail.
There’s something that seems wrong about taking out the fresh orange flesh and replacing it with an ooey gooey cinnamon roll. But let’s not think about it. We’ll eat the orange flesh later in a smoothie, I promise. Waste not, want not. right?
After I scooped the orange flesh out I bagged them up and put them in the freezer for later. Creamy orange-banana smoothies are in my future.
Speaking of cool refreshing things…I’ve started doing hot yoga again. I just really like sweating. And there is just something so mentally cleansing about sweating that much. After losing all that sweat, my focus for the rest of the day has to be on re-hydrating, which really makes me focus on my overall health in general. Which is good when you’ve got a fridge of doughy cinnamon rolls whispering sweet nothings to you.
It’s summer, which means citrus is all the rage. And cinnamon rolls are always all the rage. So the combo of the two is quite the perfect thing. If there is one thing life has taught me it’s that people like cinnamon rolls. Like, have you ever met someone who didn’t like cinnamon rolls? umm no.
There are no yeast in these because I’m impatient and didn’t feel like waiting for the yeast to rise. Time is of the essence when we’re talking cinnamon rolls.
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- 4 oranges
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed), divided
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- Preheat oven to 425F. In a small bowl, combine milk with lemon juice. Allow milk to sit for 10 minutes, or until milk begins to curdle. Meanwhile, make filling by combining 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoon cinnamon and butter. Set aside.
- Now make your orange cups by cutting oranges in half and using a knife/spoon to cut/scoop out the orange flesh. I bagged up the orange flesh and put it in the freezer to make smoothies later.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine oat flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, milk mixture, applesauce and melted butter until a dough forms. Dump dough onto heavily floured surface and roll out into a long rectangle. Spread your filling over the dough. It may not seem like very much but they tasted fine. Finally, sprinkle over 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon, just to cover any spots that the filling didn't reach. Roll up the cinnamon rolls and slice into 8 rolls. Place rolls into orange cups and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until edges are just turning golden brown. Eat warm or cold...they're good either way.
I ate just the center out of 3 of these. So doughy.