kale pizza. it’s a good thing.
Especially when the kale doesn’t necessarily taste kale-y. Instead it tastes like caesar salad. Growing up the caesar salad sandwich at Panera was my life. Except sometimes we’d be staying with my grandma and she would pick up food for us from Panera and she would end up ordering me the chicken salad sandwich and not the chicken caesar salad sandwich and then it’d be mayo overload. Not ideal.
So Caesar salad is like the unhealthy salad. Well not really because it has sardines…or anchovies. Which would have freaked me out if I would have realized that as a child. But luckily I didn’t so the caesar salad sandwich was fair game. And yay omega-3s.
I really loved this pizza. And Andrew didn’t even realize the kale-ness or the sardine-ness, which could be components that some would frown upon. But geez that broiled kale salad. I’m obsessed. I’ve made it 2 times since this pizza. One time I added crispy roasted chickpeas and roasted butternut squash into the mix. That was the best.
So the Trader Joe’s pizza crust I used for this was one of my favorite pizza crusts I’d had. I bought the wheat one and it had this honey taste that was perfectly sweet. Plus I rolled it out super thin and I’m all about the thin crust pizza. The priority should always be on the toppings…except if I’m in a carby, delicious bread mood in which case that statement isn’t valid.
In this recipe, the kale really cooks down under the broiler. I was concerned that the ~3.5 cups of kale would be way too much to top a pizza but it wasn’t. I even ended up adding some more green with arugula because the kale ended up seeming kinda underwhelming. But the caesar dressing taste of the kale was plenty flavorful. So much so that you really don’t even need a pizza to eat the kale salad. Just get a fork and dig in. But if you top a pizza with it you’ll probably have more eager eaters. Or that was my experience at least.
So sardines on your pizza. It’s delicious. I know it’s already a thing but I wouldn’t have thought I would be a fan. I totally am.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 sardines
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 3-4 cups kale, pulled off stem into smaller pieces
- 1/3-1/2 cup tomato basil marinara sauce (or pizza sauce)
- 1/2 cup asiago, grated
- 1/4 cup mozzarella, grated
- 1/3 cup parmesan, shaved
- 1 cup chicken, cooked & shredded
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1 fresh or frozen whole wheat pizza dough (I used Trader Joe's Wheat Pizza Dough)
- In a food processor or blender, combine olive oil, sardines, garlic, worchestershire and salt/pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Preheat broiler. Toss kale with caesar dressing. Spread kale out on a baking sheet and broil for 5-7 minutes, or until just starting to turn brown and crispy.
- Top your pizza dough with pizza sauce, half the cheese, chicken, broiled kale, fresh arugula, and the rest of the cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
And to all you Americans…Happy 4th! May your day be filled with burgers, ice cream and apple (or cherry) pie.