Asparagus Gruyere Toasts with Crispy Leeks & Poached Eggs
Today we eat fancy toast.
So I’m developing quite a thing for asparagus. I even ate it for lunch this week doused in hummus. Like less than a year ago the green spears made me gag, literally. But now it’s like I’m a new asparagus loving person. It’s still slightly freaking me out, but I’m slowly adjusting to the change. I’m bad with change. I like things the way they are. Working on that.
This week we went out to eat on Wednesday night. I felt so confused. We tend to eat in on weeknights and save eating out for the weekends. But I just wasn’t feeling like cooking. So tex-mex it was. I ended up throwing a fit because the restaurant didn’t have diet coke. I know, diet coke ahhh but I wanted one. Andrew said if he had a blog he’d write about how his wife very nearly cried because a restaurant was out of diet coke. I had an emotional day. I was looking forward to something crispy and bubbly. I think I need an intervention. Or maybe just some more Breaking Bad watching…that deals with addiction.
But we get to call this fancy toast a meal because it has protein (egg) and vegetables (asparagus, leeks) and cheese (gruyere). Okay a dish doesn’t need cheese to be a meal but life is short and I have a lot of cheese to try. I still haven’t tasted burrata for goodness sakes. And Andrew came back from Brazil talking about catupiry cheese and that ended up being really freaking delicious. I need someone to go on a cheese vacation with me. A worldwide cheese food crawl of sorts.
These are the ideas I have. Cheese. Usually my recipe ideas come to me when I’m lying in bed at night. Then I grab my phone and write down the idea. Some nights I’m too exhausted to get the idea into the phone before I fall asleep. For instance, two nights ago I typed “brkwniest” into my phone. I have no idea what I was thinking of. What does this mean?! Obviously something brownie-esque. But what does “-kwniest” mean. Ay yi yi. It was probably the best idea ever. Until that idea crosses my mind again, we have toast.
- Small bunch of asparagus (~60 spears)
- 1 leek, just the white part cleaned and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 slices bread (I used whole wheat)
- 4 poached eggs
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 2 ounces gruyere, shaved
- balsamic reduction
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add asparagus and cook, shaking pan frequently, for ~8 minutes. In a separate skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring frequently, for ~10 minutes or until crispy.
- Toast bread and top each slice with pesto, asparagus, a poached egg, crispy leeks and gruyere. Drizzle with balsamic reduction.