Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake Batter Sauce (…on French Toast)
This is the ultimate slumber party girl food.
Why don’t grown ups have more slumber parties? I would have to say that it is my least favorite part of being an adult…or 24. Whatever you are considered to be at 24.
The best part of being an adult is getting to decide what you want to plant in your front yard. All my life I wanted a house that was covered in vines. Ivy. Whatever it may be called. My own perfect house like Madeline’s. Now I have just that. Well, half of it is covered and I’m working on the other half. And there are more flowers in the front yard than I know what to do with. It’s a fairy tale, even if my life usually seems like a mess and my sink is filled with dirty dishes and my puppy just chewed up the legs of another pieces of furniture and I’ve been putting my workout off for 3 hours and I have 2 papers to write. Life is a fairy tale because life has french toast with chocolate chip cookie dough cake batter sauce.
I’ve been adding baking soda to all my baked goods lately. I know it makes things rise, but I’m more obsessed with the cake batter flavor it gives EVERYTHING. One of my favorite cookies in the single serving cookie ebook is cake batter flavored. It’s tha bayst.
So cake batter for breakfast is kinda like the very best thing, especially because this isn’t normal cake batter. It’s made with applesauce and peanut butter and bananas, which means it’s healthier cake batter. Which is definitely something to write home about.
I’ve decided it’s hard to be a food blogger when living in a place that has NO seasons. Fall means the weather should get chilly and make you crave warm, comforting foods. But it’s still 90 degrees here. How am I supposed to be making chili and chowder and pumpkin scones and fall things when it’s so hot?!
And then when it does get cold we get to play everyone’s favorite game of see how low we can get the air conditioning bill.
Luckily, french toast is for all seasons. And cake batter is for all seasons. So here we go. Yay weekend!
- 4 oz unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour (or oat flour)
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter (no added sugar/salt/oil)
- 1 heaping tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients for cookie dough cake batter sauce. Cover and place in the fridge while you make your french toast.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, mashed banana and cinnamon. Soak slices of bread and cook in a skillet over medium heat.
- Serves 4 (8 slices of french toast; ~1 1/2 cup cookie dough cake batter sauce)