Oct 29

Peanut Butter Applesauce

I took the best combo (ya know, peanut butter and chocolate) and autumn-ified it.

peanut butter applesauce |

Along the way I somehow managed to make it look like chocolate chip cookie dough.  I’m sure it was a byproduct of my intense cookie dough love and my strong belief that the world needs more things that look like cookie dough.  Oh cookie dough.  Love love love.

Moving on.

Dear little cup of grocery store applesauce, I feel absolutely meh about you.  You don’t do it for me.  I would never eat you as a snack.  I would put you in mug cake recipes, but for the most part your destined to play a supporting role in my baked goods.

So why then am I overly excited to tell you about this peanut butter version?! That would be because it has peanut butter and peanut butter is the beginning of all things good.  I’m currently having a peanut butter moment.  Actually, scratch that.  I’m living a peanut butter life.  Let’s throw a Netflix & Peanut Butter Things Party.  Would you come?

peanut butter applesauce |

Things I know: Anything you serve in a stemless wine glass automatically tastes better.  It’s true.  I’ve tested it extensively.

For this recipe, you start with 3 large honeycrisp apples.  The ridiculous ones the size of your head will do.

Then the combination of cooking apples + almost too much cinnamon + a touch of brown sugar = your house smelling SO holiday.

Interested in some holiday apple joy? Start with this applesauce, then move on to other delicious apples recipes made by Arman, Lindsay, Sarah, Julia and Alexis!

peanut butter applesauce |

Peanut Butter Applesauce

Yield: 3 1/2 cups applesauce

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

peanut butter applesauce
3 large honeycrisp apples, peeled & chopped
1, 1-inch peel from an orange
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cups water, divided
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons peanut butter

coconut yogurt (I used Siggi's)
chocolate chips

In a large, heavy pot, heat 1 cup water to a simmer.  Add in all ingredients except remaining water, peanut butter and toppings.  Cook apples for 15 minutes, until they are soft and mashable.  Add water as water evaporates.  Remove orange peel (if you can find it) and use a wooden spatula to mash apples into a chunky applesauce.  Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter.  Serve hot or cold topped with yogurt and chocolate chips.

More must-make apple recipes:

1-minute apple cinnamon muffin from The Big Man’s World

caramel apple bread from The Lean Green Bean

apple almond butter muffins from Making Thyme for Health

baked brie with maple spiced apples from The Roasted Root

apple oatmeal bars from Hummusapien

6 Healthy Apple Recipes|

16 Responses to “Peanut Butter Applesauce”

1. Bethany @ athletic avocado — October 29, 2015 @ 6:19 am (#)

NOMMMMS!  My mom actually told me last week that I should make peanut butter applesauce for the blog, but ya totally beat me to it!  But your recipe is probably mush tastier then mine would have ever been!  Love it!

2. Julia — October 29, 2015 @ 8:05 am (#)

I feel the same way about homemade versus store-bought applesauce – two totally different worlds!!  I’m obsessed with these little glasses of healthy delish….PB and apples are such a magnificent pair…you should seriously mass produce this stuff and give all the other applesauces a run for their money!

3. Kate — October 29, 2015 @ 8:18 am (#)

I’ll take mine with a dollop of plain greek yogurt please!

4. Dani @ Dani California Cooks — October 29, 2015 @ 9:58 am (#)

I’ve never made my own applesauce! Would be a nice touch to this year’s hannukkah party. We always get huge jars of storebought applesauce and by the end of the night, my brother is always found eating it out of the jar with a spoon.

5. Shannon — October 29, 2015 @ 12:01 pm (#)

Im not fan of applesauce either. But everything is better with Peanut Butter!

6. Chelsea — October 29, 2015 @ 2:48 pm (#)

This looks great! In the recipe directions, it looks like you left out a step for stirring in the peanut butter. Did you add it at the end, or reserve it for the topping? Thanks!

• Kylie — October 29, 2015 @ 9:45 pm (#)

ohemg I could never write a cookbook. There’d be sooo many typos and missing steps. I’ll go fix the recipe now. THANKS for the catch!<3

7. Arman @ thebigmansworld — October 29, 2015 @ 5:23 pm (#)

You’ve actually pimp’d up applesauce.

Slow clap. Just kidding, fast effing clap.

8. Sarah — October 31, 2015 @ 3:10 pm (#)

Very impressive, as always. Love the way you think in the kitchen, and how your personality shows through. Can’t wait to try this!

9. Heather@TheSoulfulSpoon — November 2, 2015 @ 7:05 pm (#)

Now this is a beautiful thing! LOVE me some homemade goodies like this. I make a similar version with pumpkin and pure ground peanut powder, actually!:) Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe; Honeycrisp apples are one of my favorite varieties!

1. Pingback: Healthy 1 Minute Apple Cinnamon Muffin