Jul 29

Microwave Cinnamon Roll for One

Cinnamon rolls rank up there with the happiest things in life.

Microwave Cinnamon Rolls for One (aka the easiest cinnamon roll EVER) #glutenfree #vegan

Things like a) Labrador puppies who’s paws are 3 times too big for their bodies, b) rooftop bars in New York City and c) having slumber parties with you sisters.  Speaking of the latter, Saturday night my two sisters and I had a sisters’ night.

As soon as I heard word of this slumber party I knew it would involve 2 things: 1) food and 2) watching (and quoting) every single line of She’s the Man.  The night for sure involved those two things and then, after She’s the Man, we started watching season 1, episode 1 of Serena van der Woodsen’s life (aka Gossip Girl).  And then we watched episode 2.  And then we (luckily) all fell asleep.  Ugh.  Netflix.  It’s like a vacuum that sucks you in and doesn’t let you go.

Actually, really any high school drama show sucks me in.  I could (and have) sat and watched the lives of Seth, Ryan, Marissa and Summer for hours upon hours.

Microwave Cinnamon Rolls for One (3 of 17)Microwave Cinnamon Rolls for One (4 of 17)

In between our highly important Gossip Girl watching and cheesecake eating, we also managed to add in a quick trip to the galleria to find them bridesmaid dresses for my wedding.  All three of us are like the slowest shoppers EVER so it was kind of concerning when we managed to find bridesmaid dresses for them both (none of my bridesmaids are matching) in under 2 hours.  Seriously, who are we?!

Microwave Cinnamon Rolls for One (5 of 17)Microwave Cinnamon Rolls for One (6 of 17)

Then we went and ate at Fadi’s.  I love Mediterranean food.  The quickest way to my heart is with tzatziki sauce and feta.  Oh, and umm…cinnamon rolls.  I wish I could say I was deeper than that but sadly…I’m not.  Hmmm how could I incorporate my love for those 3 things into my wedding?  I’ll work on that.  In the meantime, you should make this here easy cinnamon roll recipe for breakfast.

Microwave Cinnamon Roll for One
Dough
  1. 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp oat flour, packed (certified gluten free, if needed)
  2. 1/2 tsp baking powder
  3. scant 1/8 tsp salt
  4. 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
  5. 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp ripe banana, mashed
Filling
  1. 2 dates, pitted (should be soft, not super dry)
  2. 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Icing
  1. Chobani vanilla greek yogurt (use coconut milk yogurt if vegan)
Instructions
  1. In a small bowl, combine oat flour, baking powder and salt. Add in coconut oil and mashed bananas. Stir until a dough is formed. Roll dough into a ball. Set aside
  2. For the filling, cut pitted dates into pieces and use the back of a fork to mash them into a paste. Add in cinnamon and continue to mash together until cinnamon is incorporated into the mashed date paste.
  3. Sprinkle a flat surface with oat flour and roll out the ball of dough into a LONG rectangle. Make the sides of the rectangle straight by using a knife to slice off the uneven edges. Press the dough you cut off back into the rolled out dough and continue to roll the dough into an even longer rectangle.
  4. Spread the cinnamon-date paste over the rolled out dough. Fold the dough in half LENGTHWISE. Now, roll up the folded over dough into a pinwheel so that it makes a cinnamon roll shape. Place rolled up cinnamon roll into a large, greased, microwave-safe mug or ramekin. If desired, gently press the cinnamon roll down so it takes the shape of your dish. Microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and top with greek yogurt icing. Serve hot.
Serves 1
Yeah...Immaeatthat http://immaeatthat.com/

62 Responses to “Microwave Cinnamon Roll for One”

1. Amy — July 29, 2013 @ 8:57 am (#)

I made your oatmeal stuffed date with peanut butter this weekend… holy crap.. amazing! Thanks Kylie :)

• Kylie — July 29, 2013 @ 11:58 am (#)

YAY!! I love stuffing things with things. Seriously, there is few things that excite me more:)

• Gaby — July 30, 2013 @ 7:58 pm (#)

I just found that recipe and OMG you’re a genius! I eat a lot of dates or figs stuffed with PB, never thought to make a cookie out of it.
        This is also timely because I’ve been craving cinnamon rolls and needed a gf recipe. Thanks!
        Are you in Houston by chance? I thought I saw something about it. I’m in Houston and love finding local bloggers I have things in common with :)

• Kylie — July 30, 2013 @ 11:01 pm (#)

Hi Gaby!! Glad you like the recipe! I too eat a lot of PB stuffed dates…I don’t eat too many figs but I just bought some and need to add some variety to my date eating! And yes, I am from Houston:)

2. Davida @The Healthy Maven — July 29, 2013 @ 9:56 am (#)

I literally started drooling when I saw this on Insta! Making this first thing when I get home tonight! Amazing!!!

• Kylie — July 29, 2013 @ 11:57 am (#)

It’s for sure something happy and wonderful to look forward to on a Monday;)

3. Eating 4 Balance — July 29, 2013 @ 11:05 am (#)

I am in complete agreement with your feelings on Netflix. I think it’s one of the best and worst things that I’ve ever discovered. Last night I started a new show called The Glades. It’s tagline is “Sunny with a chance of homicide.” Enough said. It’s quirky and awesome. I seriously have no idea what to do when I find a show that I want to watch and it’s neither on Hulu or Netflix.

When I saw the title for your recipe I expected something highly caloric and a little unhealthy, albeit obviously delicious. I’m not sure why I was surprised when it was the complete opposite. It seriously looks like a cinnamon roll but is basically just an oatmeal bake. And you get me every time with the greek yogurt “icing” because it looks so much like the real thing!

• Kylie — July 29, 2013 @ 11:55 am (#)

I always feel so deceiving because of that icing! Greek yogurt is a total icing copout but it’s just so easy. And so good…not buttery-sugary-icing good but appropriate-for-breakfast good:)

And I’d say I was gonna check out The Glades but I need to be productive today…must stay away from netflix…for at least the next 12 hours;)

4. Kaitlin — July 29, 2013 @ 11:12 am (#)

How funny we watched that movie yesterday too! Greek food is divine but I haven’t found a good place yet. Happy Monday!

• Kylie — July 29, 2013 @ 12:05 pm (#)

It’s just the best movie;) Every once in awhile everyone needs a little She’s the Man in their life:) I hope you find a good Greek food place soon! Everybody needs a “go-to” gyros place!!

5. ThisBakerGirlBlogs — July 29, 2013 @ 11:16 am (#)

Cinnamon rolls certainly are one of the happiest things in life! And, this would make me very happy indeed. It looks delicious :-)

• Kylie — July 29, 2013 @ 12:10 pm (#)

I’m glad you too have your priorities right;)

6. Liz — July 29, 2013 @ 11:19 am (#)

Thank you. I agree with you about the puppies and their big paws. They are so darn cute.

• Kylie — July 29, 2013 @ 12:09 pm (#)

Seriously though. So adorable. Pair that with puppy breath and there just isn’t anything cuter:)

7. Cait's Plate — July 29, 2013 @ 11:37 am (#)

Brilliant! This definitely needs to be made soon in my house!

8. Ashley Bee — July 29, 2013 @ 12:40 pm (#)

I love that it’s oat flour and pretty much a healthy option! Great job :)

9. steph@stephsbitebybite — July 29, 2013 @ 12:51 pm (#)

You just made my MONDAY!!!

10. Ksenija @ Health Ninja — July 29, 2013 @ 1:03 pm (#)

How cool is that! I love cinnamon rolls, but don’t make them as often since I don’t know what to do with a whole bunch. This one is a great single person way to enjoy the cinnamon bun – will try it soon.

• Kylie — July 29, 2013 @ 4:25 pm (#)

Single serving recipes are my favorite!!! Especially with cinnamon rolls and things so I don’t end up eating pastries for breakfast…and then lunch…and then dinner;)

11. Erin | The Law Student's Wife — July 29, 2013 @ 4:13 pm (#)

What a crazy cool idea! Single lady cinnamon roll. This bowl of beauty would make any morning happy. Great idea Kylie!

12. Nora (Buttercream Fanatic) — July 29, 2013 @ 4:20 pm (#)

Umm don’t even get me started on the crazy stuff that Netflix forces (let’s call it that, ok?) me to watch. But anyway….I am SO excited about this cinnamon roll! Can’t wait to try it. Stupid question though: is it ok to replace coconut oil with olive oil, or would that be too watery?

• Kylie — July 29, 2013 @ 4:23 pm (#)

I think olive oil could work fine! Flavor-wise…a more neutral oil like canola might be better though. I hope you try them:))

13. Alison — July 29, 2013 @ 5:23 pm (#)

I’ve never watched Gossip Girl, but I’m probably better off not watching it or else I might be a victim of that Netflix vacuum.
    But these cinnamon rolls? Genius and totally worth getting addicted to ;)

• Kylie — July 29, 2013 @ 10:35 pm (#)

Netflix vacuum = really, really dangerous…hahaha

14. Ruta — July 30, 2013 @ 8:33 am (#)

No way. I’ve wanted a single serving cinnamon roll recipe forever, mostly because I can’t trust myself with a whole batch. Gosh, cinnamon rolls are so good! Thanks for the recipe.

• Kylie — July 30, 2013 @ 3:53 pm (#)

Haha I can’t trust myself with a whole batch of warm, gooey cinnamon rolls either:) I hope this single serving recipe will do the trick for you too:))

15. Gaby — July 30, 2013 @ 11:44 pm (#)

Cool! We can share restaurant tips! Middle eastern is my favorite, probably the only cuisine I could have every day without getting tired of! What part of Houston are you in? I live midtown but actually doing a lunch date tomorrow around Hillcroft to go to the Indian grocery stores and probably go to Bijan or Kasra, yum!!

• Kylie — August 1, 2013 @ 8:54 pm (#)

NEAT! Midtown is such a fun area…tell me you’ve been to Gnocchi night at Piola?! And I’m moving just inside the loop come December. I went to Shiva, in Rice Village, for dinner last night. Haven’t been to Bijan or Kasra though!

16. Carly — July 31, 2013 @ 4:28 pm (#)

You’ve must have seen that I had pinned your two cinnamon roll recipes and then got nervous due to the whole yeast thing, but now, well I have no excuses! These look delish(:

PS- love She’s the Man, my sister and I were just saying how its crazy that Amanda Bynes has gone off the deep end…

• Kylie — August 1, 2013 @ 8:51 pm (#)

Ugh don’t even remind me:( Poor Amanda. While we were watching She’s the Man I said…”I wish Amanda Bynes could see how much happiness she brings our family”…haha sounds silly but SERIOUSLY!!

17. thekatiepotatie — August 1, 2013 @ 5:20 pm (#)

Ah so pretty! Love the post and will be making soon.

• Kylie — August 1, 2013 @ 8:54 pm (#)

I hope you do! Let me know how it goes!

18. Gaby — August 6, 2013 @ 1:04 pm (#)

I have not been to gnocchi night, which I know is ridiculous. I should be ashamed. I have been to Piola, and the smells when I go work out at 24 drafting up from that place make it really difficult to actually walk into the gym and not just go eat pizza lol. I love gnocchi though! My family is from Argentina so we’ve always celebrated that tradition on the 29th. Sadly, I”ve finally linked my migraines directly to gluten products, but it’s really simple to make them yourself!
    so I’m guessing you’re moving after you get married? Do you have a place in mind already?
    I’ve never been to Shiva but really considering Indika for restaurant week.

19. Jen — August 6, 2013 @ 5:05 pm (#)

These are DELICIOUS!! Even my sister (who NEVER eats anything remotely healthy) LOVED them!! :) Thank you for a delicious, easy, HEALTHY, single-serving cinnamon roll!! You are a genius. Seriously. I LOVE your blog!! I also have a question… would this recipe work in the oven?? That may be a really dumb question, but I’m not a huge fan of the microwave. The dough is SO delicious, and I LOVE the texture! I was just wondering if it would turn out the same in the oven. THANKS!

• Kylie — August 6, 2013 @ 10:01 pm (#)

I’ve never tried it in the oven but I think it would be fine. My guess would be just bake it for like 10 minutes at 350F!

20. Chocolate-Covered Katie — August 6, 2013 @ 6:55 pm (#)

This is SO adorable and creative :)

• Kylie — August 6, 2013 @ 9:55 pm (#)

Not gonna lie…just freaked out a little that you left a comment haha. Thanks:)

21. Raquel — August 9, 2013 @ 3:51 pm (#)

I just made this and OMG i was in heaven! It tasted exactly like the real thing..never again Cinnabon

22. This One Italian Girl — August 21, 2013 @ 12:32 pm (#)

This looks so yummy! I might just have to make it this weekend. Thanks for the awesome recipes!

23. Aicha — September 1, 2013 @ 11:33 am (#)

I’m going to try this as a night meal! I hope it’s okay I don’t break the breakfast rule (?) haha! It looks so good I can’t WAIT!

24. Lena — July 16, 2014 @ 2:34 pm (#)

Can this be rolled into balls to make this cinnamon roll bite-sized? If so what do you suggest with the oven method? I prefer the oven so if I roll this into 1-inch balls what temperature, and how long do you suggest for it to be in the oven?

• Kylie — July 16, 2014 @ 3:55 pm (#)

Hey Lena! I’d say 350F for 8-10 minutes. Let me know how they turn out! I love the idea of cinnamon roll balls…I might have to do a separate blog post for that!

25. jenn diaz — January 21, 2015 @ 10:04 pm (#)

holly crap yummy there so easy an healthy i baked mine for 15min in 350 mini oven sorta like cookie size there so crspy and delicious like a cookie so satisfying .

26. Lise — February 10, 2015 @ 8:38 am (#)

These are incredible Kylie! Thank you – used prunes instead of dates (extra fibre and easier to spread) as well as swapped the Chobani for Goat’s Milk yogurt sweetened with a little stevia & cinnamon. Delish!

Excited to try more of your recipes – Lise.

• Kylie — February 10, 2015 @ 11:33 am (#)

Lise! So glad you like them! I’ll have to try the prune substitution!

27. Veronica — June 15, 2015 @ 12:38 am (#)

Is there a good substitute for the banana in thus recipe? I’m allergic, but would REALLY love to add this to my breakfast rotation.

• Kylie — June 15, 2015 @ 12:44 am (#)

I would recommend honey or applesauce in place of the banana! Or maybe a mix of both:)

28. Emily — July 26, 2015 @ 2:17 pm (#)

That looks amazing! Could I make a large batch of dough on Sunday and use what I need throughout the week? I’m a student so I have roughly 20 minutes to make and eat breakfast and making the dough ahead of time would be a huge time saver! Thanks :)

• Kylie — July 26, 2015 @ 5:46 pm (#)

Hey Emily! The dough gets a little tough after sitting in the fridge. So I’d recommend forming the large batch of dough into 5 cinnamon rolls and then putting them in the fridge to bake/eat throughout the week!:)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: {The Recipe ReDux}: Lunch in a Jar | Yeah...imma eat that.Yeah…imma eat that.

2. Pingback: No-Bake Pumpkin Cookie Dough Bars | ImmaeatthatYeah…imma eat that.

3. Pingback: Easy Microwave Gingerbread Cookies - The Nerd's Wife

4. Pingback: {The Recipe ReDux} Sponsored Recipe Contest: Healthier Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies | Yeah...imma eat that.Yeah…imma eat that.

5. Pingback: Easy Microwave Cinnamon Roll | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images

6. Pingback: Gluten Free Dessert Recipes - Living Smart Girl

7. Pingback: Two Cinnamon Rolls. | Yeah...imma eat thatYeah…imma eat that

8. Pingback: Single-Serving Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls - Yeah...Immaeatthat

9. Pingback: Friday Treats – Single Serving Microwave Baked Cinnamon Roll | Curls 'n' Chard

10. Pingback: 5 Favorite Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Dessert Recipes - Yeah...Immaeatthat

11. Pingback: 30-minute Healthier Cinnamon Rolls | immaEatThat

12. Pingback: Single, No-Bake Chocolate Cinnamon Roll | The Pancake Princess

13. Pingback: 14 Delicious Dishes You Can Cook in Under One Minute - Chief Viral