Nov 24

Red Wine Hot Chocolate

You eat chocolate with wine, so why not put chocolate in wine.

Red Wine Hot Chocolate! The perfect treat for chilly nights made with only 3 ingredients!

I don’t know.  It seemed like a good idea to me.  But holy smokes it was RICH.  I never understand when someone says a chocolatey dessert (i.e. fudge) is too rich.  TOO rich? How can something be TOO rich?  It’s like saying something is TOO delicious.  But this drink is rich and more fit for sipping out of a small glass than gulping from a mug.

Red Wine Hot Chocolate-2 Red Wine Hot Chocolate-3

Next time I may add some cinnamon sticks to really kick up the spicy, holiday flavors.

All holiday celebrations should involve a burning fire place and mulled wine.  Those are my thoughts.  We don’t have a fireplace in our house…soooo mulled wine is my only choice.  I mean, if you want your house to smell like the best thing ever, mulled wine is the way to go.  I recently tried glogg.  So holiday.  A mug of holiday cheer (i.e. like chai tea…but with booze.)

Red Wine Hot Chocolate | Yeah...immaeatthat

I’ve had total recipe writers block lately.

This red wine hot chocolate was taking up so much space in my head that I felt like I couldn’t think of any new recipes until I made this one.  The whole recipe writers block came at a good time because the weather last week was so rainy and gross that I couldn’t have taken any food photos.  And when it wasn’t raining, it was getting dark at 4:55 pm.  I don’t like you, Daylights Savings Time.  But then I do like you because otherwise it’s impossible to get out of bed in the morning.  It’s a love-hate relationship, like so many other things in my life (i.e. burpees). Has anyone ever done the burpee mile? I kinda want to train for one.

Creamy Red Wine Hot Chocolate | Yeah...immaeatthat

So yesterday Andrew and I went to his parent’s house for lunch.  His mom made braised short ribs + buttermilk mashed potatoes.  His dad made sauteed kale with garlic + bacon.  If you walked into their house (and into a meal) you would ask yourself, “is this real life? or is this a Southern Living magazine photo shoot?”  It’s always fabulous and so so delicious.  I have so much to learn about being a hostess.  I have started a “party ideas” pinterest board to aid in the effort.

While preparing for holiday celebrations, know that this drink could fit merrily onto your party menu.  Ya know, cause everybody likes chocolate.  And wine.

Creamy Red Wine Hot Chocolate | immaEatThat

Red Wine Hot Chocolate
  1. 1 1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)
  2. 1 cup red wine (I used Kendall-Jackson Cabernet Sauvignon)
  3. 1/3 cup dark chocolate chunks
  4. Optional: coconut whipped cream
  1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk and chocolate chips. Whisking constantly until chocolate is melted into milk and you have a thick and creamy chocolate milk. Pour in red wine and heat until everything is hot. Pour into 2 mugs or 6-8 smaller glasses and top with coconut whipped cream.
Makes 2 mugs or 6-8 smaller glasses
  1. This drink is RICH. So instead of just serving 2 (as shown in the pictures), I would recommended serving 6-8 in smaller glasses for sipping.
Red Wine Hot Chocolate | Yeah...immaeatthat

(yes, I just put on lipstick so I could do that^.)

More delicious chocolate creations:

Try this Layered Peanut Butter, Chocolate & Banana Bread!

Layered Peanut Butter, Chocolate & Banana Bread.  The perfect bread for indecisive people.

121 Responses to “Red Wine Hot Chocolate”

1. SuzLyfe — November 24, 2014 @ 5:47 am (#)

DEFINITELY a good idea. I might have been a little nervous with the milk/wine combining, but it happens with cream sauces, so I don’t know why I would think it would be any different. And Cabernet/merlot chocolates are amazinge. I think Ghiradelli has some in their line? My mom gave me some for Xmas last year!

2. foodiecology — November 24, 2014 @ 8:03 am (#)

Is breakfast too early to make this?… ;)

• Kylie — November 24, 2014 @ 8:16 am (#)

No, I’ll be right over;)

3. themuffinmyth — November 24, 2014 @ 9:58 am (#)

Dang girl, this sounds crazy but in a kind of genius way! It’s a glögg fest here in Sweden at this time of year, and speaking of crazy combos the tradition is to serve it along side gingersnaps smeared with blue cheese. It took me a few years to get my head around that combo, but now it makes so much sense! Just like wine and hot chocolate, which I will be trying out stat.

• Kylie — November 25, 2014 @ 9:10 am (#)

Now I really want to make a cheese tray with gingersnaps included! Brilliant!

4. Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine — November 24, 2014 @ 12:50 pm (#)

Wow, that is decadent! How beautiful ;)

5. sweetsandbeets — November 24, 2014 @ 12:51 pm (#)

Whaaaat? Okay, definitely going to have to try this. So creative, Kylie!

6. erika — November 24, 2014 @ 1:12 pm (#)

Omg that first photo of the pouring chocolate is INSANE. I hope you’re proud of that one. Ugh I’m sad I didn’t think about adding wine to my hot cocoa bar party!!! I feel like I would enjoy this way more than Baileys or peppermint schnapps-spiked cocoa.

And Andrew’s parents sound AWESOME.

• Kylie — November 25, 2014 @ 9:12 am (#)

Yeah I ‘can’t even’ Baileys…it’s just too much! But your hot cocoa bar party looked insane wine or no wine!

7. Francesca — November 24, 2014 @ 7:31 pm (#)

This can’t be real life!? My 2 loves :)

8. Kaylin @ Enticing Healthy Eating — November 24, 2014 @ 8:28 pm (#)

Red wine and hot chocolate? 2 of my favorite drinks in one?! I’ll take it! Do you recommend a sweeter red wine or a more sour and dry wine? I personally prefer sweeter wines but…just wondering!

• Kylie — November 25, 2014 @ 9:08 am (#)

I’m in no way a wine expert, but I would say a drier wine is better. I used a cabernet!

9. Nora (A Clean Bake) — November 24, 2014 @ 10:04 pm (#)

Two words: HECK. YES. Brilliant brilliant, brilliant as usual!!!

10. Emily @ Zen & Spice — November 24, 2014 @ 10:14 pm (#)

O.M.G This is genius!! I am totally going to try this. I love red wine and chocolate so the two together sounds just heavenly : )

11. Sarah @ People, Places & Plates — November 24, 2014 @ 10:58 pm (#)

Ha I also get confused why people say ‘too rich’ like it’s a bad thing!

• Kylie — November 25, 2014 @ 9:07 am (#)

ugh, people. (lol:))

12. Ali A — November 25, 2014 @ 5:30 am (#)

What a fantastic idea! I recently discovered hot chocolate and port…it went down a little too well I understand you completely. Have you tried red wine and cola before? I feel like you might appreciate it too!

• Kylie — November 25, 2014 @ 9:07 am (#)

I’ve never tried red wine + cola! I may just have to.

13. Joanne — November 25, 2014 @ 6:56 am (#)

You know I’m all about putting wine in ALL THE THINGS, right. I mean, putting it in my afternoon snack hot chocolate is just the next stop in wine domination.

• Kylie — November 25, 2014 @ 9:12 am (#)

wine domination ftw;)

14. sosmallsostrong — November 25, 2014 @ 11:59 am (#)

Not ok to have this before classes right? Or iiiiiis it!!? :) PINNING!

15. Serena Ball — November 25, 2014 @ 3:39 pm (#)

I have been looking for this recipe all my life. Not kidding.

16. Lauren — November 26, 2014 @ 10:09 am (#)

This looks insane, such a cool idea…like ‘Food and Wine’ caliber!

17. Johnnie Banks — December 1, 2014 @ 11:17 am (#)

I was looking for a Hot Chocolate recipe to try, and like the gods were listening I find a post on The Kitchn, linking to this recipe. Red wine, chocolate, and coconut whipped cream. 3 things I live for. Can’t wait to try this!

• Kylie — December 1, 2014 @ 2:24 pm (#)

I hope it’s just what you’re looking for, Johnnie! ENJOY!

18. athleticavocado — December 1, 2014 @ 2:55 pm (#)

such a great idea! genius!!!

19. Deanna Segrave-Daly (@tspbasil) — December 1, 2014 @ 5:43 pm (#)

My mind has been official blown. Two favorite drinks in one – I cannot wait to try this (love love the pour shot – the color and texture of the hot chocolate – stunning.)

20. Ayla @eatsimply — December 1, 2014 @ 8:47 pm (#)

I paused for a good long while thinking about how awful it would be to do burpees for a mile but then I came back to the wine and chocolate and everything was OK again ;) this looks yummy.

21. jenna @ — December 2, 2014 @ 8:50 pm (#)

I’m drinking a mug of this right now and it’s amazing. I’m so happy. Thank you for bringing this to my life.

• Kylie — December 2, 2014 @ 8:59 pm (#)

This made my night!!! So glad you like it! ENJOY!<3

22. etrapar — December 8, 2014 @ 2:04 am (#)

Nice! I think I will try it without milk…maybe with some cinnamon :)

23. Maria @ The Good Life — December 12, 2014 @ 9:26 am (#)

I love this idea which makes perfect sense since I have tried chocolate wine and loved it! Will try this tonight and will let you know how I like it!

24. Cindy — December 12, 2014 @ 8:07 pm (#)

This sounds great!! But when you say chocolate chunks…are you referring to dark chocolate candy? Not baking chocolate, right?

• Kylie — December 12, 2014 @ 9:31 pm (#)

Correct, just like dark chocolate chips!:)

25. Carrie A Groff — December 17, 2014 @ 11:23 am (#)

Interesting! I never thought of hot chocolate and wine together! Can’t wait to try this! I am going to use almond milk.

26. Cat R — December 18, 2014 @ 9:51 am (#)

Think this would this work in a slow cooker? Doing a hot chocolate bar with slow cooker hot chocolate and could use this for the adult version. (I’d be doubling the recipe, was thinking a 2-3 qt would be good.)

• Kylie — December 18, 2014 @ 4:32 pm (#)

I think YES!

27. Rachael — December 20, 2014 @ 6:15 pm (#)

If it is too rich, decrease the amount of chocolate chips? 1/4 cup instead?

• Kylie — December 20, 2014 @ 6:44 pm (#)

yeah, you could try that! The richness kinda fits with the season though;)

28. jennifer Fincher — December 21, 2014 @ 7:10 pm (#)

I just bought bottles of chocolate rOuge wine for coworkers for Christmas. What is a good snack to stick in the bag with it?

• Kylie — December 21, 2014 @ 11:28 pm (#)

Do you have a Trader Joe’s near you?? I think their chocolate covered s’mores would be a way fun pairing!

29. AshleyLauren — December 23, 2014 @ 9:04 am (#)

Your blog is really pretty and everything looks delicious! I hope you don’t mind but I reblogged this (giving you credit of course). Stop by and say hello… Merry Christmas!

30. Carpe Diem (@cd_BE) — January 18, 2015 @ 3:09 pm (#)

Had an friend over today and we were taking about wine and chocolates so we tried this.
    I used 2013 piccini chianti (was open) and cachet Peru 64% dark Belgian chocolate. Not have bad, althouh we needed to add some sugre. 64% dark is a lot.

• Kylie — January 18, 2015 @ 10:53 pm (#)

glad you tried;)

31. Tracy — January 28, 2015 @ 1:49 pm (#)

Not sure any of you are aware, but there is a product out there that you can buy that is Red wine and Chocolate already combined… it is called Chocovine!!!!  They have 4 different flavors,  Original, Raspberry, Whipped Cream and Espresso.  You should check it out, heaven in a bottle!!  :)

• Kylie — January 28, 2015 @ 2:11 pm (#)

Oh yummmm!!! I had no idea!!! Need to find.

32. Tom — March 5, 2015 @ 4:42 pm (#)

It snowed here in DC today so I gave this a try. I figured 1/3 cup of chocolate chips weighs 2 ounces so I used that much of a 70 percent bar I had on hand. I also always add potato starch to the cold milk to make the mixture a little thicker, so that went in too. Tasty, but I ended up adding a pinch of sugar to each mug, and next time I think I’ll add just a bit more chocolate too. Thanks for the idea!

33. Kaitlin — December 21, 2015 @ 7:23 am (#)

This looked great until I added my wine. It’s acidic so it made the dairy curdle. Bummer.

• Kylie — December 21, 2015 @ 8:31 pm (#)

Hi Kaitlin! Oh no!! Mine didn’t curdle. I obviously need to try this recipe again. I’m so sorry that happened! I’m so bummed you had to waste wine and chocolate and milk:/

• Laura — January 3, 2016 @ 7:41 pm (#)

Mine curdled too. I was excited for this recipe. The milk and chocolate looked amazing till I added the wine. It smelled good though. Can someone tell me how I could stop it from happening again.

34. Bob — February 8, 2016 @ 3:24 pm (#)

Red wine + milk = curdled milk.  Thanks a lot.

35. Kay — July 24, 2016 @ 2:31 am (#)

I didn’t have much milk, so I used lite coconut cream instead.  OMG!   There must be a place in heaven for a drink such as this.  Thank you.

36. Aaron T. — September 12, 2016 @ 9:30 pm (#)

I used a bottle of Cupcake Shiraz.
    I wasn’t enjoying it alone, so I decided I’d find a recipe to make this wine more enjoyable.
    I halved the recipe, since I was just making a bit for myself. But I actually only used 1/4 of the wine, since a Shiraz is already so heavy.
    The Cupcake Shiraz went perfect with the chocolate (I used Semi-Sweet chocolate chips) since it does have a touch of Mocha already in it.

This is a VERY rich drink. Especially if you use a bolder red wine like I did. But, baby sips. It’s all worth it.

10/10 would recommend!
    Will be making more if this drink!

The Hot Chocolate also went very well with the Oatmeal Pumpkin Cookies I made today!
    Nom! 😍🍪🍷

37. Tiff — October 27, 2016 @ 12:56 pm (#)

I try to stay away from dairy, but I SO want to try this! Do you think Almond or Cashew Milk could work?

38. Cassie — October 27, 2016 @ 1:12 pm (#)

Added the wine, the mild curdled immediately. Down the drain. What a waste of good wine and chocolate.

39. Adam P — October 27, 2016 @ 2:46 pm (#)

This was gross. Tried it. Tasted awful

1. Pingback: What I'm Loving Lately - Eat Real Food

2. Pingback: Bean Bytes 117

3. Pingback: 23 Best Holiday Drink Recipes

4. Pingback: Thursday Things 12.04.15 - just j.faye

5. Pingback: Happy Weekend + Links I Love | DonzWebb

6. Pingback: Petite Holiday Party Picks

7. Pingback: Have a wonderful weekend. « Your Family Blog

8. Pingback: December Favs! | My so-called Luck

9. Pingback: Une Vie en Rouge

10. Pingback: Weekly Reads – 12.12.14 | Paper, Planes & Pinot

11. Pingback: TGIF | Cedar & Rush

12. Pingback: Blackberry Gin Fizz | Cooking Cara

13. Pingback: Weekly Reads – 12.12.14 | Paper, Planes & Pinot

14. Pingback: ‘Tis The Season for Hot Chocolate: Dec 12th is National Cocoa Day | memyself

15. Pingback: meanwhile, elsewhere | hello sunshine

16. Pingback: No Such Thing as Too Much Netflix || 12.12.14 | A Beautiful Recovery

17. Pingback: Tis the Season for… Red Wine Hot Chocolate | taylorelberson

18. Pingback: Top 5 Posts of 2014 (according to stats and me) - Yeah...Immaeatthat

19. Pingback: Vroča čokolada z vinom | Blurred Limes

20. Pingback: you're invited to: New Year's Eve - Design Crush

21. Pingback: Baby its Cold Outside!! Hot Chocolate Round-Up!

22. Pingback: Cocktails to Try | Crafted by Borracha

23. Pingback: Minty Hot Chocolate | Spoon in a Saucepan

24. Pingback: Ways To Class Up Your Box Of Goon | WORLD Warotter

25. Pingback: Have a Wonderful Weekend. | A Cup of Jo

26. Pingback: Have a Wonderful Weekend. | A Cup of Jo

27. Pingback: Cosy Monday | The Blogness

28. Pingback: How To Make Cheap Horrible Wine Drinkable | WORLD Warotter

29. Pingback: 10 Adult Hot Chocolate Recipes

30. Pingback: The Top 10 Drinks You Need To Try ASAP | Whiskey Riff

31. Pingback: 8 Delicious Hot Chocolates You Must Make This Winter ||All Fashion News

32. Pingback: 4 DRINKS TO “FALL” FOR |

33. Pingback: Friday Five 11/20: Five Favorite Fall Drinks | Tale of 2 Halfs

34. Pingback: 10 Delicious Hot Chocolate Recipes That Will Keep You Warm This Winter | Official Web News

35. Pingback: 10 Delicious Hot Chocolate Recipes That Will Keep You Warm This Winter - Gaazer

36. Pingback: 10 Delicious Hot Chocolate Recipes That Will Keep You Warm This Winter | First 100 Dollar Day

37. Pingback: How To Make Homemade Hot Chocolate | 12 Creative Recipes

38. Pingback: Squirrelly Minds » Eat | Mulled Wine Recipes

39. Pingback: HOT CHOCOLATE WITH A KICK: 5 OPTIONS | It's a Sparkly Life

40. Pingback: 20+ Cozy Hot Chocolate Recipes - House of Hawthornes

41. Pingback: 20 Incredible Hot Chocolate Recipes to Cozy Up with this Winter | Mama Cheaps

42. Pingback: HOT CHOCOLATE WITH A KICK | It's a Sparkly Life

43. Pingback: 6 Boozy Hot Chocolate Recipes That Will Warm Up Your Night – Upcrated

44. Pingback: Christmas Party Inspiration – lisasatomi

45. Pingback: Everything Christmas

46. Pingback: Your Weekly Internet Spoils: Wine Time Edition | Bloggsom

47. Pingback: Get Cozy With These 5 Fall Cocktails – Beachaven Vineyards + Winery

48. Pingback: The Perfect Beverage on a Chilly Day: Red Wine Hot Chocolate - :: Hot 104.7 Maine ::

49. Pingback: All Living Things Must Eat, Part 1: Drinks – Brainsplode

50. Pingback: Red Wine Hot Chocolate Is The Winter Beverage You Deserve | agaara

51. Pingback: Red Wine Hot Chocolate Is The Winter Beverage You Deserve - magplanet

52. Pingback: This Is the Year You Actually Make Mulled Wine | Yummy Everyday

53. Pingback: Red Wine Hot Chocolate Is Here to Cure All Your Winter Blues – Fashion Magazine – Cometrend

54. Pingback: Red wine hot chocolate is a thing now - Age Times | Age Times

55. Pingback: Red Wine Hot Chocolate Is the Answer to Your Cold-Weather Blues — On Trend | Caribbean Blogz

56. Pingback: Red Wine Hot Chocolate Is the Answer to Your Cold-Weather Blues — On Trend | Jonathan Wilhoite Blog

57. Pingback: Red Wine Hot Chocolate Is the Answer to Your Cold-Weather Blues — On Trend | Sazon television

58. Pingback: Red Wine Hot Chocolate Is the Answer to Your Cold-Weather Blues — On Trend - How to kill your time?

59. Pingback: Red Wine Hot Chocolate Is The Ultimate Winter Beverage

60. Pingback: Red Wine Hot Chocolate Is The Ultimate Winter Beverage – Factotic

61. Pingback: immaEATthat and That and THAT – Yeah…Immaeatthat

62. Pingback: Wine and chocolate? How to make the 3-ingredient drink recipe that everyone is trying – Rare

63. Pingback: Red Wine Hot Chocolate- Winter Warmer! – verityandthevery

64. Pingback: Varm choklad med rödvin | Elle mat & vin

65. Pingback: Red wine hot chocolate is a thing now - britain express | britain express